What to Expect in a Business Interview
While the term “business” might apply loosely to most industrial and entrepreneurial ventures, interviews for business positions contain many of the same basic elements across the board. Interviewers want to discover whether interviewees possess the gumption balanced with the professionalism any business position requires. Questions will often revolve around what you know about the company you are applying for, as well as previous achievements and struggles in your professional experience. These interviews tend towards a more cut-and-dried tone, as opposed to those for positions that require a great deal of charisma or flamboyance in personality. Employers want to know why it is you have determined that you are the best candidate for their company, and will actively probe with direct questions to find out how you’ve come to that decision. Employers in this field are searching for passionate and self-confident employees who they feel they can trust to execute their job responsibilities.
Tips to Remember
There are several techniques which you can employ in order to properly prepare yourself for your interview for a business position.
· Do your homework. Find out what the company’s brand is, why they do what they do, and what they stand for. Make sure you mention these things organically during the interview.
· Figure out why you want to be a part of this business. Employers want to know why you’re a better fit than the next interviewee, and will be more receptive to people who have really considered why they would be a genuine asset to a company.
· Be familiar with your resume. You may be asked multiple questions about your experience and skills, and you don’t want to be caught off-guard.
Make sure to spend time researching the company and then tailor your resume to the position you are applying for. Employers will respect candidates who demonstrate a clear desire to invest themselves in the company.
General Skills to Highlight
Specific abilities and experiences are ideal for impressing potential employers, but there are a few skills which everyone looking to enter the business industry should be sure to mention:
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – a critical ability for inspiring others with your ambition and passion
- Confidence – balance self-assurance with the ability to be modest and to learn
- Leadership – show a propensity for taking charge in appropriate situations
- Positivity – demonstrate your ability to roll with the punches
- Innovative Ideas – be prepared to offer new ideas to enhance any industry’s practices
In an interview for a business position, it is extremely important to highlight your skills and your own readiness to become a serious contributor to the company. Don’t be afraid to express passion and gumption, and be sure to be knowledgeable about both yourself and your potential company for a fruitful interview.