Asking “Are you seeking employment in a company of a certain size Why” is a way for interviewers to gather certain information from a candidate.
First, a hiring manager is trying to see if you have done your research on the company. Ideally, the size of the company you want to work for is the size of the company you are applying for. The “Why” part of the question is to learn more about your personality and to see what specifically makes you well-suited to work at either a large or small organization.
Points to Emphasize
It is important to give a clear and concise answer that is relevant to the position you are applying for.
- Talk about how you worked at companies that were of similar size to the company you are applying for
- Discuss how you work better in either large or small groups
- Emphasize skills that make you well-suited to the company size
- Show that you have done your research about the company by giving specific information
Answer the question in a positive way that shows you will be able to adapt to the organization’s dynamic.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
It is easy to make a mistake when you are answering a question regarding the size of the company you want to work for, so avoid falling into these traps.
- Don’t give an uninformed answer that shows you haven’t done research regarding the company
- Don’t give an answer that is too general and could apply to any position
- Don’t skip the “Why” part of the question
- Be careful not to mention personal attributes that are counter-intuitive to the size of the company you want to work for
Your answer should showcase your knowledge of the business and your personal skills that would make you an asset to the organization.
Your response should successfully answer both parts of the question and go something like this:
I have worked at companies that were similar in size to here, and I have found that I was able to make a positive contribution and use my skills to the overall benefit of the organization. Smaller companies tend to work to my advantages because I am very capable of developing interpersonal relations with my co-workers, which is much easier to do when you see the same people on a day-to-day basis.
This response may not work for everyone, and your answer should be customized to reflect your own personal preferences and skills. With the right qualifications, any hiring manager will be able to see that you are the best candidate for the job.