Especially when it comes to jobs, it is important for individuals to make informed decisions. If an applicant is serious about a position, you can expect for them to have an inquisitive line of questions. This is a good sign that you should pay attention to and encourage.
Applicants might ask questions like, “Do you know of other people whom I might talk to who have similar jobs” The applicant knows that you know of such individuals because you have need for such a position, and sharing their information would be an invasion of privacy. So clearly there is clearly more to this question. What they are really asking is what type of individual you are looking for to fulfill the position.
Points to Emphasize
There are a few points that you will want to emphasize when providing a quality answer.
· Confidently indicate that you do know of such individuals.
· Clearly state that you cannot divulge personal information but that you can give descriptions of the individuals and their roles.
· Identify the key traits of such individuals and the jobs that they perform.
· Make sure that if they have a different title, their job duties are closely related to those of the position the interviewee is applying for.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
This question can play a key role in shaping an applicant’s view of the position, so make sure that you paint a good picture by avoiding these mistakes and traps.
· Do not divert the question by asking why the interviewee want to meet those individuals.
· Do not give a list of names or anyone’s personal information.
· Stay away from mentioning individuals whose jobs are not related to the position at hand.
· Do not give a false answer.
A proper answer to this question might sound similar to this:
Though it is against our practice to give out private information, I can tell you about individuals with similar jobs to our sales acquisition position. We have individuals in campaign marketing who perform many of the same duties of the sales team in regards to studying the market then selecting and targeting certain individuals. We also have a strong customer service team that listens to and addresses customer concerns. The individuals in such positions tend to be good listeners, problem solvers and self motivators, which are important qualities for this job.
Though you are talking about other jobs, make sure that you bring the focus back to the position that the individual is interviewing for.