Jobs in Homewood, AL
- 755,838 Resumes
- 8,080 Jobs Available
- 25,802 Population
- $52,000 Average Salary
A suburb of Birmingham, Homewood, Alabama, sits in Jefferson County. It is located south of the center of Birmingham on the other side of the Red Mountain. As you search for jobs in Homewood, you have to gather more data related to the job market, job search, resume writing and average salary. You can find some preliminary information to help you with your local job search.
You can tell a lot about the job market in an area by comparing the local unemployment rate with the national unemployment rate. In Jefferson County, the unemployment rate is 5.4 percent, and the national unemployment rate is 5.3 percent. The top performing industries in the greater Birmingham area include trade, transportation and utilities; government; education and health services; professional and business services; and leisure and hospitality. These five industries have grown an average of 1.7 percent over the past year. The largest occupations in the Birmingham area include cashiers, retail salespersons, registered nurses and secretaries. The average weekly wage of the United States is $1,048, while in Jefferson County it is slightly lower at $945.
One of the most important documents you can prepare for your job search is your resume. This is often where a hiring manager gleans a first impression and how they remember you after your interview. Use these tips to ensure you create something that is professional-looking, error-free and outstanding:
1. Do try to create your own resume, but remember all of the resources available if you need more help.
2. Don’t get too hung up on common resume writing rules, such as keeping your resume to one-page. If you have a good reason to break these rules, you can (within reason).
3. Don’t be afraid to use a Microsoft Template, but at the same time consider using a design that isn’t going to be like everyone else’s.
4. Don’t justify your text because that can create odd spaces between your words.
5. Do create a sharp focus by including keywords specific to the job you are applying to.
Finding jobs in Homewood, like in the rest of the country, can be a bit of a challenge. You have to take the right steps to make the entire process easier. Consider these tips as you set out to find a job:
1. Make yourself standout. If you want to be noticed, you have to do things a little differently than your peers. Find a strategy that works for you and stick to it. In order to find the best strategy for you, consider your skills, goals, experiences and preferences. Then choose a strategy that can help you highlight what makes you special.
2. Change your preconceptions. Going into a job search it is easy to have a fixed idea of what you’re looking for. Sometimes, though, your plan doesn’t work out like you thought it would. Consider applying to jobs at a company you could have a future with even if it isn’t your dream job.
3. Job-proof your social media. If you want to make a good first-impression, there are a few things you should do. First, you have to make sure your social media gives off a professional vibe. You should also make sure your resume stands out and that you dress the part for the interview.
4. Get prepared for a formal interview. There are certain interviews you may have as you search for jobs in Homewood that are a little less than formal. However, you should always be prepared for a more formal interview. This will ensure that you have the information needed to wow the hiring manager no matter the questions they ask.
5. Don’t forget to network. As you network, it may be tempting to just try to rub elbows with those higher up in a company. However, you shouldn’t underestimate the power of networking with your peers, receptionists and other people typically thought of as lower on the totem pole.