Jobs in Harrisonburg, VA
- 92,050 Resumes
- 2,676 Jobs Available
- 52,478 Population
- $54,000 Average Salary
Despite being in separate jurisdictions, Harrisonburg is right in the county seat of Rockingham County. It has a population of 50,000 and is a rapidly growing location. When looking for jobs in Harrisonburg, it is vital that you keep the job market, prospects, and average wages in mind. This guide should help you begin your research on these aspects.
While finding jobs in Harrisonburg is easier than many other locations, the typical wages are usually lower. The unemployment rates have been greatly decreasing. Despite being higher than the national average last year, the unemployment rate is now five percent, which is lower than the average across the country. The average weekly wages, however, are just $700, which is about $400 less than the national average. The surrounding areas have slightly better wages. The largest industries in Harrisonburg are utilities and government. The former is growing, but the number of government jobs is decreasing. The most common occupations in the area are food preparers, cashiers, and salespersons.
Having a strong resume is the key to finding jobs in Harrisonburg. The following simple tips can be the difference between creating a passable resume and creating a resume that will get you hired.
1. Focus on your experiences. Be active and list the things you have done. Try to limit the amount of space you dedicate to job descriptions, summaries, and lists of facts. Think of your resume as answering the question, “What unique benefits do I bring to the table?”
2. Pay close attention to formatting. A standard has been established for resumes. You should be very familiar with it because any significant formatting mistakes can be enough to make some employers simply not read your resume.
3. Think about what your resume looks like at a glance. It may seem unimportant, but if you have large blocks of text or blank spaces, it may create an impression before reading even begins.
4. Be specific and unique. Not only should you focus your resume around the particular job you are applying for, you should avoid general information that many others will include in their resume. Standing apart is vital to being hired.
5. Consider using an online resource. Resume builders or template can be a very effective way to ensure your resume is organized and up to par.
Looking for jobs in Harrisonburg is similar to searching for work in any location. There are several steps you should take to make the entire process more effective and simpler. Follow these tips to get started.
1. Keep a positive attitude. It is no secret that job searches are getting longer. When you have been looking for several months, it will be much better to be able to stay optimistic. This will also be more appealing to employers you meet.
2. Plan ahead. The entire process will be more successful if you come up with a plan of action before you start. Figure out what the hiring practices are for the kind of work you desire and identify several potential companies.
3. Utilize your network. The requirements for finding a job are changing. In today’s job market, knowing the right people is often more important than a strong application. Do not neglect this aspect of your search.
4. Know what your options are. If you do have to fall back on a backup plan, make sure have it prepared. What other jobs may be relevant and beneficial to your actual interests, but more accessible.
5. Be persistent. Many applicants do not follow up on job leads. This is a way you can stand out. Do not give up on an opportunity until you are given a definitive answer.