Jobs in Harlingen, TX
- 278,290 Resumes
- 1,403 Jobs Available
- 65,914 Population
- $63,000 Average Salary
Harlingen is a growing city just 30 miles west of the Gulf of Mexico. With a population of 65,000 and a close proximity to Brownsville, it is certainly a location that facilitates a job search. Still, it is important to have an understanding of the job market, prospects, and common wages before beginning. This guide should serve as a helpful tool for jump starting your research about jobs in Harlingen.
Like most of Texas, there are very appealing jobs in Harlingen and the surrounding area, but caution should be taken when searching for a job. Unfortunately, the unemployment rates are higher in this area than is average for the United States by about 2%. The national unemployment rate is 5.3%, while it is about 7.3% in most of Texas, including Harlingen. Additionally, the unemployment rates have been very consistent for the past few years. Also, the average weekly wage is much lower than the national average. It usually stays around $600. The largest occupation groups are office administration, personal care, sales, food preparation, and training. In particular, the number of jobs in education and training has been increasing greatly.
The above tips are important for finding jobs in Harlingen, but always remember that the most important aspect of your job search is your resume. The following tips are focused specifically on your resume because of how important it is.
1. Focus your resume around experiences. The experiences section should be the largest part of your resume, and it should also be given the most attention. This is likely going to be what determines whether an employer hires you or not.
2. Include a wide range of experiences. It is better to include fewer varied experiences, including volunteer work, internships, and significant education experiences, than more typical jobs you have had.
3. Keep the length of your resume in check. You should strive to completely fill one page, and not bleed onto a second page. Blank or wasted space looks especially poor to readers.
4. Managing formatting is important. Break the content up and ensure each section is distinct and in the proper format. Look up which sections should be in paragraph form and which should be bulleted lists.
5. Review your resume after you finish writing. You should be looking for typographical errors and simple mistakes, but you should also keep an eye out for what impression the resume gives. If there are large blocks of intimidating text, or it does not look full of content at a glance, you should make changes.
As is always the case elsewhere, finding jobs in Harlingen is easier when you take the proper actions. The following are just some of the more important job hunting tips that can help you get started.
1. Prioritize your network. Now, more than ever, who you know is more important than what you are bringing to the table. Start conversations, ask around, and follow leads to find your way to job interviews.
2. Always follow up. Persistence is vital. Unless you have been given a definitive answer, do not assume you have been rejected. A follow-up phone call can go a long way.
3. Stay confident. Because of the state of the economy, most job searches end up being significantly longer than they used to be. Mentally prepare yourself, because if you allow the length of your search to influence your attitude, it will only be more difficult to be hired.
4. Know what you are doing. Decide what your goal is and figure out what the steps to reach it are. This means you should know what the hiring practices are for the kind of job you want and what employers are looking for.
5. Get help with your search. There are numerous resources, tools, and databases available online to aid you. Employing every asset you have is essential to earning your new job.