Jobs in Gurnee, IL
- 755,838 Resumes
- 2,491 Jobs Available
- 31,207 Population
- $61,000 Average Salary
Gurnee Illinois is a village located on the northern end of the Chicago metropolitan area. Although it’s over 40 miles from downtown, it attracts millions of visitors each year thanks to Six Flags America amusement park. Visitors are not the only people who are enjoying this town. Read on to learn more about the economy, average salaries and available jobs in Gurnee.
Gurnee sits in Lake County Illinois about four miles west of the shores of Lake Michigan. The village is home to over 31,000 residents, and the county’s 4.9 percent unemployment rate is actually lower than that of the Cook County metro. This number also beats out the nation’s average of 5.3 percent. The retail sector represents the area’s largest industry. Thus, jobs in sales are high in demand. Additionally, a large number of residents find work as freight movers, food preparers and general laborers. The average Gurnee resident earns $1,341 per week compared to the national average of $1,048.
Most jobs in Gurnee will require you to submit a resume. Think of this as your personal sales pitch and your one chance to highlight your skills. Here are a few formatting tips as well as ways to keep it professional.
1. Be transparent. While a false statement on your resume might score you a meeting with the hiring manager, that same lie can end up being the reason you get fired.
2. Avoid clutter. It’s not uncommon for large companies to receive hundreds of applications for a single opening. To ensure your resume gets a second glance from the screener, pay attention to your format and style. Use headers and bullets to guide readers through your history. To get your goals across right up front, consider adding a summary of your qualifications.
3. Use definitive wording. Avoid dull, generic words when describing your accomplishments. Instead, opt for action verbs that also accentuate your skillset without taking up extra space. Also, keep in mind that numbers stand out. Be sure to state exactly how many employees you supervised or how much money you saved your company.
4. Provide your email and phone number. Some people like phone calls while others prefer to email. Your resume should cater to both methods of communication.
5. Seek help and advise. Whether you choose a trusted friend or an experienced professional, always have someone else read over your resume. Consult the Internet for examples and tips. If you’re a student, your school’s career center is a great place to start.
Before you begin searching for jobs in Gurnee, be sure do your homework. Consider the following tips:
1. Scope out the area. Find out where your prospective neighbors work. Look at companies in your area’s main industries, and browse the job openings at company headquarters.
2. Research each company. Read websites, mission statements and local news about the company you’re interested in. Knowing the culture makes you better prepared to interview.
3. Ask for referrals. Oftentimes, getting your foot in the door comes from knowing the right people. Stay active with social media, and keep up to date with your professional profile.
4. Have a plan. Don’t apply to any jobs in Gurnee without having a reply prepared. Know what you’re after and clearly state that in your cover letter and during any interviews. Above all, be sure to follow up. As a general rule of thumb, a brief phone call or email is appropriate after a week has gone by.
5. Be willing to wait. Job hunting is usually a full-time job. Don’t be afraid of rejection, and remember to be patient and understanding of the recruiting process. Every company is different.