Jobs in Gresham, OR
- 41,355 Resumes
- 35,906 Jobs Available
- 109,892 Population
- $56,000 Average Salary
Gresham, OR, is located just east of metropolitan Portland, OR. (It is the second largest city in the Portland metropolitan area). Gresham values its business community and is known as a growing technology/semiconductor and food distribution area, and encourages trade, start-ups, and business/industry relocation with substantial incentives.Gresham’s temperatures average between 75 to 80 degrees in summer and 35 to 40 degrees in winter months. The City supports easy-access public transit, close proximity to the Portland International Airport, and year-round recreation opportunities and home to Mount Hood Community College. Gresham also offers numerous parks, open spaces, water accesses (Oregon coast, Fairview and Johnson Creeks), Mt. Hood, the Columbia River Gorge, and many walking/hiking, bike, and nature trails. Gresham additionally offers music/arts and local artists/craftspeople, theatre, galleries and museums, and entertainment venues.A successful job search begins with a familiarization with the local job market, job prospects, and average salaries. Gresham encourages large and small businesses. It offers relocation incentives to increase and enhance its economic development. In general, full-time and part-time work in the Gresham, OR area may be found at the city offices, retail employers, and aerospace industry and semiconductor/technology facilities.
The Gresham, OR area is included in the Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR Metropolitan Statistical Area and Multnomah County. It has a Sep 2015 unemployment rate of 5.2 percent. This is down from 5.9 percent in Sep 2014. It matches the 5.2 percent national unemployment average, but is lower than 6.2 percent state average (US Bureau of Labor Statistics).Employment in the Gresham/Portland area has been concentrated in sales and related, food preparation and serving related, and healthcare practitioners and technical occupations sectors. As of May 2014, occupations employing the most workers in the Waterbury area were: 1.Retail salespersons2.Cashiers3.Combined food preparation and serving workers (including fast food)4.Customer service representatives5.Registered nursesThe top performing industries in the Gresham/Portland area (per percent of total employment), include:1.Office and administrative support occupations (15.6 percent)2.Sales and related occupations (10.2 percent) 3.Food preparation and serving related occupations (8.9 percent) 4.Transportation and material moving occupations (6.5 percent)5.Production occupations (6.5 percent)Gresham/Portland employment was significantly higher (May 2014) in computer and mathematical, management, and architecture and engineering sectors. Conversely, Gresham/Portland employment sectors of healthcare support, protective service, and building and grounds cleaning and maintenance are significantly lower than the national averages. In addition to the City of Gresham, the Centennial, Reynolds, and Gresham-Barlow School Districts, and Mount Hood Medical Center, the largest employers in the Gresham area include the Subaru Distribution Center, Boeing of Portland, US Bank Processing Center (check processing), ON Semiconductor and Microchip Technology, Affiliated Computer Services/Xerox Business Services (Call Center), Arnprior/QPM Aerospace (aerospace manufacturer), and Albertsons Distribution Center (food distribution.
Resumes are typically submitted online. Always include a cover letter with your resume. Resumes/with cover letters may also be included as an attachment to the employer’s formal job application. The completeness of your resume will determine if you will be invited to interview. It also serves as a post-interview reference for the recruiter, and helps justify the hiring decision. Effective resumes include basic criteria which are focused, well-organized, and which include a keyword summary and skills and accomplishments lists. All resumes must contain your
• Contact information (phone, cell, email)
• Qualifications and Keyword Summary, Licenses and Certifications, Affiliations and Memberships, Military Service, Language Proficiencies, and “References Available Upon Request. ”List all entries chronologically, from the most to least recent. Do not lie about, or exaggerate, the facts. Proofread your resume for typos and misspelled words. DO NOT INCLUDE photos or personal information such as height/weight, age, date/place of birth, marital status, gender, ethnicity, social security number.
Gresham, OR job searches can be made easier by:
• Keeping your industry-related skills and knowledge (about local employers and industries) current;
• Enrolling in skills refresher or retraining workshops;
• Keeping up-to-date by reading industry/professional reports and publications and browsing online job banks;
• Networking through online social sites (Linkedin, Facebook, etc. ), community and professional associations, and local job-hunt groups and job fairs websites;
• Circulating your resume (Twitter);
• Including keyword links to your resume, blog, Facebook/Linkedin profile, etc.
• Searching companies/currently open positions online;
• Not limiting your search to job boards. Recruiters also check social media sites (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) for candidates;
• Following-up on leads;
• Keeping your resume, network information, and professional and personal reference lists up-to-date.