Jobs in Glen Cove, NY
- 755,838 Resumes
- 174,041 Jobs Available
- 27,314 Population
- $80,000 Average Salary
Located on the north shore of Long Island, Glen Cove is a city that benefits from many economic opportunities in the greater New York City metropolitan area. In the 2010 Census, the population of the city was listed at 26,964. Read more to find out about opportunities for jobs and the state of the local economy in Glen Cove.
The economy in Glen Cove, which is in Nassau County, has shown continued economic growth as evidenced by the decreasing unemployment rate. From November 2014 to November 2015, the rate in the county dropped by .5 percent from 4.6 to 4.1 percent, much lower than the national average of 5.3 percent. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the largest areas of employment in Nassau and nearby Suffolk County are trade, transportation and utilities, followed by education and health services. Office and administrative support jobs are the largest occupations at 19.5 percent of total employment, significantly higher than the national average of 16 percent. Sales and related positions come in second, also above the national average at 11.2 percent and 10.5 percent, respectively. The average weekly wage in Nassau County is $1,103, slightly higher than the national average of $1,048.
Your resume serves as the best showcase of your knowledge, skills and abilities and it needs to be of high quality to garner the attention of hiring managers. Follow these do’s and don’ts to make your resume shine when you are looking for jobs in Glen Cove.
1. Do consider utilizing a different format than the standard resume templates. Be distinctive with your design but make sure it is readable with a consistent format.
2. Don’t forget to include the locations of your past jobs within your job descriptions. This can be overlooked but it still very important.
3. Do avoid the use of the word “work” on your resume. It is best to use action verbs when describing your accomplishments.
4. Don’t be over concerned about the one-page rule. This is not a hard and fast rule, but it is important to not go over two pages.
5. Do give your resume as sharp of a focus as possible. Utilizing such formats as bulleting and including branding statements that briefly yet succinctly state your skills and best qualities are very attractive to hiring managers.
Finding jobs in Glen Cove takes a determination to succeed through a broad set of job-seeking skills. Follow these tips to make the next step in your career.
1. Join all the groups you can to open up opportunities in your search. From industry associations to job-hunter groups and online job boards, the more options you pursue—the more likely you are to find that perfect job.
2. Create and maintain a positive online presence. Employers seek out candidates online, and it is important to have professional, focused, and positive public social media profiles to create interest and keep you in the running for the job you want.
3. Get an entrepreneurial mindset. If it works for your skill set, try freelancing or consulting to create positive cash flow during your job search and to help fill any gaps in your resume. Sometimes, freelancing can also turn into a full-time position.
4. Keep track of your job-seeking duties in a file folder on your computer or in a traditional notebook. This will help you to meet weekly goals and facilitates timely follow-up activities.
5. Stay positive throughout the length of your job search. Positivity breeds confidence, and this will help you during the interview process.