Jobs in Galveston, TX
- 279,376 Resumes
- 1,979 Jobs Available
- 49,608 Population
- $56,000 Average Salary
Galveston, Texas, sits on the islands of Galveston and Pelican in Galveston County. It is part of the Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown metropolitan area. It is important that you gather information about the job market as you get ready to search for jobs in Galveston. You can get some introductory information about job prospects, searching for jobs, writing a resume and salary data.
The job market in Galveston is comparable to that of the United States. The unemployment rate in Galveston County is 4.9 percent, which is slightly less than the national average of 5.3 percent. The top performing industries in the area are leisure and hospitality, information, education and health services, government and construction. These industries have grown an average of 4.1 over the past year. The largest occupations in the area include retail salesperson, office clerk and combined food preparation and serving worker. The average weekly wage in Galveston is $899, which is significantly lower than the national average of $1,048.
One important aspect of your job search is actually your resume. Use these tips as you start building your own resume:
1. Create a format that is reader-friendly by using headers, bullet points, the table tool, the bold emphasis and white space appropriately.
2. Make all of your content important to the reader by revamping your resume every time you apply to a new job and putting it in a reverse chronological order.
3. Focus on your skills, accomplishments and personality traits as you write your experience section.
4. Avoid sharing unimportant information, like your hobbies, a physical description of yourself, your political or religious views or anything controversial.
5. Become familiar with common resume writing guidelines, but don’t feel restricted by them because if you have a legitimate reason to do something that breaks the rules, you can.
Finding jobs in Galveston is similar to that in the rest of the country. You have to know what sort of actions to take to make the process easier. Follow these tips as you search for jobs:
1. Promote yourself. In order to catch the eye of a hiring manager, you have to be able to promote yourself well. You should focus on what you wear, how you act, what you share on social media and how you present yourself in your resume.
2. Practice for the interview. One way you can make sure that you promote yourself well is by practicing for the interview. You should figure out how to answer common interview question, but you should also practice really listening. This will ensure that you give a well-thought out answers to any questions they pose.
3. Make contact before you apply. Once you find postings for open jobs in Galveston, you will probably feel like you should send in your application right away. Instead you should reach out to your network to find out if you know anyone that works in the company or if your network knows anyone in the company. You should get in contact with that inside person and have them give your resume to the appropriate party.
4. Follow up. No matter where you are in the search process, you should always follow up with potential employers. This means that you will continue communicating with them until you get a definitive answer about the job in question. You can communicate by telephone, through emails, with social media, using the postal service and in person.
5. Focus on your skills. As you look for jobs to apply for, go to interviews and even create your resume, you want to focus on the skills that you have. This will help you find jobs that fit you best. It will also help you know what to say to interviewers.