Jobs in Gahanna, OH
- 111,394 Resumes
- 10,026 Jobs Available
- 34,257 Population
- $56,000 Average Salary
Gahanna is located in Franklin County, Ohio. According to the 2010 census, the population was 33,248. In 1849, the city was founding along the Big Walnut Creek. The name Gahanna is a Native American word meaning the convergence of three creeks into one. Therefore, the official seal of the city has the inscription “Three in One.” Recent efforts have been made to revitalize the old Gahanna downtown area with a project known as Creekside Gahanna redevelopment and park extension. This is a multi-million dollar project and is expected to attract both tourists and new residents. Gahanna is approximately 9 miles northeast of Columbus. Finding work in Gahanna means learning more about the city’s local economy, including job prospects and average salaries.
The economic forecast for the Columbus area looks promising, as unemployment rates continue to decline. According to data from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rates have dropped from 4.1% in November 2014 to 3.9% in November 2015. This is well under the national average unemployment rate of 5.2%. The position that accounts for the highest number of employees in Columbus is combined food preparation and serving worker. The second largest group of employees consists of retails salespersons, followed by customer service representatives and registered nurses. Top performing industries are education and health services, mining, logging and construction, and leisure and hospitality. The education and health services industry alone has increased by 6.9% from November 2014 to November 2015. The average weekly wage in the Gahanna area is $935, compared to the national average weekly wage of $1,048.
If you are looking for jobs in Gahanna, you will want to make sure your resume is an authentic representation of your professional experiences. The following do’s and don’ts can help keep your resume in top shape.
1. Don’t exceed two pages in writing. With the exception of academics and doctors who may need to use curricula vitae (CVs), there is no need to write more than two pages. Keep your writing concise and relevant.
2. Do use bullet points for listing items and align the text flush left. This ensures your resume is organized and easy to navigate.
3. Don’t rely on generic language. Avoid the overly-used phrases such as “team player” and “detail oriented,” as these take away from the individuality of your writing.
4. Do use a “Summary of Skills” section to introduce your work history. Doing so offers an at-a-glance overview of your professional qualifications.
5. Do list your work history section in the following suggested order: title of position, employer, city and state of employer, and employment dates.
Finding jobs in Gahanna means putting to use a certain set of job seeking skills as well as having the right mindset. The following tips can help keep you on track during your job hunt.
1. Stay positive. Although you may be temporarily out of work, there is no need to feel discouraged because your unemployment truly is only temporary. You might consider joining a support group to access resources and connection with people in a similar situation.
2. Make a plan. Breaking the process down into smaller goals that can be accomplished on a daily or weekly basis will maximize your productivity. For example, you might try to send out a certain number of resumes per week.
3. Get creative in your job search. Start looking into fields and industries that you may not have previously considered. Keeping a creative and open mind will allow more opportunities to come your way.
4. Keep up with networking. Don’t hesitate to reach out to personal and professional contacts who could give insight into a particular industry. Their advice will be valuable, and you never know where the next lead could come from.
5. Make use of social media. Use websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to expand your network and allow potential employers to find your professional profile.