Jobs in Fort Myers, FL
- 227,070 Resumes
- 3,905 Jobs Available
- 70,918 Population
- $64,000 Average Salary
Fort Myers, FL is a popular tourist destination due to the numerous activities to do around town as well as the fact that it is so close to the beach. It has a population of 68,190, and it is a commercial center for Lee County. If you live in the city or somewhere nearby, it can be beneficial to learn about current job prospects and income information to see if it is a good idea to enter the job market in the near future. There is a lot Fort Myers has to offer, so go out and find the perfect job.
The current job outlook for the Fort Myers-Cape Coral area is currently very good. Fort Myers has an unemployment rate of 4.8% as of April 2015, and that is actually lower than the national unemployment rate of 5.3%. The biggest industries in the city include office and administrative support, sales, food preparation, healthcare and construction. In fact, food preparation accounts for 13.6% of the total employment of Fort Myers. The largest specific occupations for the city include retail salespersons, waiters and additional food preparation workers. Someone who works 40 hours a week can, on average, make about $745 a week. That is lower than the national average weekly wage of $1,048.
Your resume is arguably the most important tool you have when searching for jobs in Fort Myers. Here are a few tips and tricks to ensure that your resume catches the attention of possible employers:
1. Before you send your resume to a business, make sure that there are no misspellings or grammatical errors. Have someone else read your resume for you just to make sure everything is correct.
2. Present education and work experience in reverse chronological order. That means starting with the most recent and working backwards.
3. Do not put your references on your resume. If you are asked for references, that information should be presented on a separate paper.
4. Make sure you include contact information at the top of your resume so a hiring manager will be able to reach you.
5. If you have a lot of experience, then your resume can be two pages long. Generally speaking, you do not want to go much longer than that.
With a few helpful tips, looking for jobs in Fort Myers can be made so much easier. Many people are unaware of the vast number of resources available to them to aid them in their job search, so review everything to have the best chance:
1. You should develop a solid plan aside from just applying to every job in sight. If you currently have a job, develop a plan of applying for so many jobs each day. If you are out of work, try to find some kind of temporary employment to help you out while you search.
2. Go to job fairs and ask around your personal network to see which companies are currently hiring.
3. Schedule information interviews with people in the field you want to get into. These interviews will not necessarily lead to a job, but they can be extremely helpful in figuring out what you need to do in order to receive a position.
4. Talk to people every day about how your job hunt is going. You never know when someone knows of something that just popped up.
5. Utilize all your options to find job openings. There are plenty of online resources, but you can find some good stuff by going through your local newspaper.