Jobs in Evansville, IN
- 61,146 Resumes
- 2,440 Jobs Available
- 120,346 Population
- $58,000 Average Salary
Situated in Indiana, Evansville is considered to be the commercial, medical and social hub of Southwestern Indiana. If you plan to move to Evansville, you will need to look at the job market, which means finding job prospects and researching wages. If you do not know what type of information you need to know, the information that follows will provide you with some guidance.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate in Evansville, IN is around 4.9 percent, which is lower than the 5.5 percent national average. The average weekly wage is $825, which is also lower than the national average, which hovers at $1048. Jobs with the highest number of workers include Retail Salespeople, Food Preparation Workers, Registered Nurses, Team Assemblers and Cashiers. The number of people working in these jobs ranges from 3,700 to 5,650 people.
While it is true that your skills and experience are what will get you the job, you first need an employer to notice you. That is where your resume comes in. If you want to keep yours from getting passed over, you need to make sure that it draws the attention of the employer. Use the following tips below to get you on your way.
1. When formatting your resume, try to group your information in such a way that makes it easy to read. The best way to do this is to use bullet lists, which helps make your resume extremely easy to scan.
2. If you have never done a resume before, consider using a template to help get you started. You can find templates on most popular word processors and online.
3. Most people tend to put their current job duties on their resume, but it really isn’t necessary, since your employer probably knows what they are. Instead, try making a list of your achievements and successes on the job. That will look more impressive.
4. Its fine to have hobbies and interests, however they do not belong on a resume unless they somehow relate to the job or add more value.
5. Most people will tell you to keep your resume to one page, but if you feel the information is necessary, go ahead and use that second page.
If you choose to move to Evansville or any other city, you will need to have a strategy in place in order to conduct a job search. If you are new to job searches or have not conducted one in a long time, you may not know where to get started. If that is the case, use the tips below in order to get you off on the right track.
1. Don’t limit your search to just one place. Employers use a variety of methods to get the word out about positions, so you will want to make sure that you are able to see them all. If you use just one site, you might miss out on a good opportunity.
2. Make sure to get creative with your search. There are many opportunities that exist beyond the normal sites, and it is a good idea to think outside the box in order to find. One such method is searching social media (Twitter, Facebook) with particular hashtags that relate to the type of position you want.
3. Networking is also key to a good job search. One of the best things you can do is join sites such as LinkedIn, which provide a network of professionals who can offer insight into different opportunities.
4. When networking, don’t just limit yourself to online sources. Friends and former colleagues might also have some good information, so do not be afraid to reach out.
5. Don’t forget to tidy up that resume.