Jobs in Elk Grove Village, IL
- 127,535 Resumes
- 59,008 Jobs Available
- 33,379 Population
- $69,000 Average Salary
Only 23 miles northeast of Chicago, Elk Grove Village is home to more than 33,000 residents. It was named after a herd of elk that was brought to the area by an original settler. They are taken care of by the Chicago Zoological Society in the Busse Woods forest preservation on the eastern side of the area. Elk Grove Village has its own industrial park where residents find employment, but many cross the county borders to find work in Chicago and the surrounding area. If you are looking for jobs in Elk Grove Village, first take a look at what the area has to offer you in terms of wages and opportunities.
The job market numbers and information for Elk Grove Village are bundled in the Chicago area. This area has a higher than average unemployment rate of 5.4 when compared to the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. This number is improving, having fallen from 5.9 percent from 2014 to 2015. Providing more than 936,000 jobs in Elk Grove Village and the Chicago area, the trade, transportation, and utilities sector is the largest. This is followed closely by professional and business services, education and health services, government, and leisure and hospitality, which holds the largest occupation: retail salesperson. Construction has seen 4.3 percent growth over the year. The weekly wage average is $1,062, which is almost identical to the national weekly wage average of $1,048.
Writing a resume is more than compiling all of your information in one place. It must have a proper format and have no proofreading errors. Looking over resume-writing advice is a great way to get your resume in tip-top shape. Start with these five tips:
1. Don’t bother forcing your information onto one page. Instead, take two if you need it, but make sure it is necessary.
2. Forget adding the references. These will take up coveted space on your resume, and employers will just ask for them if they want them.
3. Focus your resume on accomplishments. Make an accomplishments section if you have three or more items such as metrics, awards, or promotions.
4. Don’t make the experience section a list of boring duties. Focus on projects you worked on, specialized duties, and accomplishments.
5. Consider using a new format that doesn’t look like the one everyone else is using. It may be the thing that draws the attention of an employer. Make sure you don’t use color unless your job is in a creative field, and put all text in justified left position.
Preparation and planning is key to finding and landing jobs in Elk Grove Village. Get started making your process easier and less stressful with these five tips:
1. Join networks and attend networking events. Meeting or knowing the right people can just be the edge you need over other candidates who are vying for the same positions.
2. Don’t just rely on the same information you’ve read over and over again. Talk to employers in businesses around you or schedule informative interviews. These aren’t interviews for jobs, but rather a way for you to understand the position you want, what skills or training you may need, and what is required to get these jobs in Elk Grove Village.
3. Be the captain of your own process and make a plan. Finding new job leads, contacting employers, and researching interview or resume tips should be weekly scheduled tasks.
4. Maintain positivity throughout your process, no matter how long it may take. If you don’t, your attitude may suffer in the interview room.
5. Take a good look at your resume to make sure it is in the right format and follows acceptable guidelines.