Jobs in Elgin, IL
- 755,838 Resumes
- 25,783 Jobs Available
- 111,117 Population
- $58,000 Average Salary
Elgin, IL is a fast-growing All American City and destination for the arts. It is northwest of Chicago by the Fox River and known as "The City in the Suburbs.” It might be best-known for The Elgin National Watch Company, maker of the self-winding Elgin watches, giving the city the name of “The Watch City,” before it was changed. It is also the home of Elgin Community College, Judson University, and Elgin Academy, the oldest coeducational/non-sectarian college preparatory school west of the Alleghenies. Temps average between 75 to 85 degrees in summer and 29 to 45 degrees in the winter months. Elgin has many parks/recreation and forest preserves. The city offers canoeing, fishing, and hiking, climbing (walls), biking, and equestrian trails (Fox River Trail and the Illinois Prairie Path). It has numerous golf courses, skiing and ice skating, swimming and boating and a variety of sports activities (Elgin Sports Complex: soccer, BMX, baseball) and events. It hosts theatre (Hermmens Cultural Center), music and the arts, museums, festivals, dining, and entertainment (riverboat casino, country clubs). If you’re looking for employment in Elgin, you’ll want to be familiar with the local job market, job prospects, and average salaries. Full-time and part-time work may be found at the colleges and local school district, health services, and cultural arts and entertainment venues.
The Elgin, IL area is included in the Elgin, IL Metropolitan Division and Cook and Kane Counties. It has a Sep 2015 unemployment rate of 4.9 percent. This is down from 5.8 percent in Sep 2014 and below the 5.2 percent national average (US Bureau of Labor Statistics).Elgin employment has been concentrated in sales and related, transportation and material moving, and healthcare practitioners and technical sectors. As of May 2014, occupations employing the most workers in the Elgin area were: 1.Laborers and freight, stock, and material movers (hand labor)2.Cashiers3.Retail salespersons4.Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers5.Registered nursesThe top performing industries in the Elgin area (per percent of total employment), include:1.Office and administrative support occupations (15.5 percent)2.Sales and related occupations (10.6 percent) 3.Transportation and material moving occupations (8.3 percent)4.Food preparation and serving related occupations (7.9 percent) 5.Production occupations (7.0 percent)Elgin employment was significantly higher (May 2014) in transportation and material moving, management, and healthcare practitioners and technical sectors. Conversely, Elgin employment sectors of construction and extraction, installation, maintenance, and repair, food preparation and serving related are significantly lower than the national averages. In addition to Elgin Community College, and the Elgin School District U-46, the largest employers in the Elgin area include JP Morgan Chase (credit card services), Advocate Sherman Hospital, Provena St. Joseph Hospital, and Elgin Mental Health Center healthcare facilities, the Grand Victoria (riverboat) Casino, and manufacturers: American NTN Bearing (ball and rolling bearings), Communication Test Design Inc. (telecommunications), Winergy Drive Systems (wind turbine gear), SKF (seals/bearings), and the Elgin Sweeper Co. (environmental cleaning equipment).
Submit your resume with cover letter to the employer online, or include it with a formal job application. Your resume determines if you will be invited to interview. It also serves as a post-interview reference for the recruiter, and helps justify the hiring decision. To be effective, resumes must include basic criteria which are focused, in and organized format, and which includes a keyword summary and skills and accomplishments lists. All resumes must contain your
• Contact information (phone, cell, email)
• Qualifications and Keyword Summary, Licenses and Certifications, Affiliations and Memberships, Military Service, Language Proficiencies, and “References Available Upon Request. ”Remember to:
• list all entries chronologically (most recent to least recent)
• do not exaggerate or lie about the facts
• review for typos, misspelled words, and formatting. DO NOT INCLUDE photos, personal information such as height/weight, age, date/place of birth, marital status, gender, race, or social security number.
Simplify your Elgin, IL job search by:
• Keeping your industry-related skills and knowledge current;
• Attending skills refresher training, reading industry/professional reports and journals, browsing online job banks;
• Networking through online professional and community associations, Elgin job-hunt groups and job fairs, Linkedin, Facebook,etc. ;
• Including keywords that link to your resume, blog, Facebook/Linkedin profile, etc.
• Searching companies/open positions online;
• Circulating your resume on Twitter;
• Using ALL job search tools and resources. Search beyond job boards. Recruiters also check social media sites (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) for candidates;
• Following-up on leads;
• Keeping your network information, resume, and professional reference lists current.