Jobs in Derry Township, PA
- 120,585 Resumes
- 702 Jobs Available
- 24,881 Population
- $49,000 Average Salary
Derry Township, in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, is best known as the home of the Hershey chocolate factory. The Township is located approximately 14 miles east of Harrisburg. The Hershey Company has a long history in the area, and the Hersheypark theme park is also situated in Derry Township. No matter how much you like (or dislike) chocolate, though, if you are looking for jobs in Derry Township, you’ll need to know about the job market there, like what types of jobs are available and what the area’s average salaries are. Read on for a brief introduction.
The market for jobs in Derry Township and the nearby Harrisburg-Carlisle area is relatively healthy. The unemployment rate is 3.5 percent, which is quite a bit lower than the United States’ national average, which is reported at 5.3 percent. Trade, transportation and utilities, government, education and health services, professional and business services and leisure and hospitality are the top-performing industries in Harrisburg-Carlisle. The leisure and hospitality industry is growing and has recently increased by 7.5 percent. Manual labor, retail sales, clerking, cashiering and customer service are the occupations that provide the highest number of jobs in Derry Township and Harrisburg-Carlisle. The average weekly wages in Dauphin County during the second quarter of 2015 were $950; the U.S. average during the same quarter was $968.
Your resume is extremely important to your search for jobs in Derry Township. No matter what type of job you are seeking or how long you have been in the workforce, there are some rules that apply to every resume:
1. When reporting your work history, begin with your most recent job.
2. List your education in the same order, starting with the most recent, but do not list high school.
3. If you have skills that you would rather not use again, do not list them on your resume.
4. If you have experience that you gain from a volunteer position or an internship, you can either add these items under a heading of “other experience” or you can lump them in with your paid work experience and use the heading “experience” instead of “employment. ”
5. Never use a font smaller than 10 points. If you are tempted to use a tiny font to fit more words on the page, consider revising instead.
Searching for jobs in Derry Township may take time and effort, but can be made much easier by following these tips:
1. Be methodical in your search. Make a plan and set goals. For example, commit to applying to a certain number of jobs per week, and be prepared to follow up on each lead or application.
2. Take advantage of all the training opportunities you can find. Try to gain skills that build on what you already know. Alternatively, if you want to start fresh with a new career, learn something entirely new.
3. If you don’t know what field you might work best in, find out your strengths and interests by taking career assessments or placement tests.
4. Practice job interview skills. Every time you practice, the process becomes a little easier.
5. Research companies and roles that interest you. You may even be able to set up an informational interview with someone in the company, where you are the one asking the questions and the point is to learn about what the company does and what qualities they value most in their employees.