Many people dread writing a curriculum vitae, but it doesn’t have to be challenging. CVs have a specific formula, and when you uncover that formula, it is easy to fill in the information. CVs are essentially resumes with more detail. They can be useful when you’re transitioning to a new field or don’t yet have a lot of work experience. The certified medical assistant CV example on this page demonstrates how to approach this document, and we provide detailed information to help you make yours complete.
Tips for Writing Your Certified Medical Assistant CV
As the certified medical assistant CV example shows, those in this field work alongside doctors to provide care to patients. They often are the first and last points of contact patients have during a medical appointment. Certified medical assistants have a variety of duties that depend largely on where they work. They most often take vital signs and statistics before medical examinations and give patients needed paperwork after their appointments, such as medication prescriptions or instructions for self-care. Those in this line of work also sometimes help a physician during the examination. They may hand the physician equipment and perform tasks alongside the physician. Certified medical assistants are sometimes responsible for routine care, such as removing sutures and changing bandages, which are skills that are important to highlight in your CV.
Skills and Knowledge to Include in Your Certified Medical Assistant CV
Those applying to be certified medical assistants should be sure to list specific skills and knowledge related to the job. Certified medical assistants need to be able to perform their duties extremely accurately to provide exceptional care. They must be detail-oriented and committed to maintaining thorough records. Those in this field also need to be personable, as patients are more likely to open up about important information when they feel they are in a welcoming environment. Patients often come to a medical appointment stressed, in pain or otherwise agitated. Certified medical assistants with calm and friendly demeanors help put these patients at ease. To work in this field, you also should have adequate knowledge about specific instruments and equipment used in the specific clinical setting. You must be able to take criticism and instruction from a supervisor or physician and confidently assert your concerns.
In addition to the certified medical assistant CV example included here, follow these guidelines to create a winning document:
- Use a professional font no smaller than 10-point.
- Keep your CV to one page, unless you are professional level.
- In your work experience, use first person present tense for jobs you currently hold and past tense for jobs you no longer hold.
- Proofread your CV, preferably reading it aloud to better catch errors.
- List complete contact information, including your phone number and email address. You can also include a professional website or portfolio.
- List your most relevant and important skills first, using bullet points for each one.
- Don’t list jobs you have held over 10 years ago unless your CV would be sparse without it; if so, don’t include the dates of employment.
What to read next