Jobs in Crown Point, IN
- 755,838 Resumes
- 11,939 Jobs Available
- 28,623 Population
- $56,000 Average Salary
Crown Point is a city in Lake County, Indiana. Because it’s only an hour south of Chicago, some call it a metro. However, local residents enjoy a quiet, rural town with eclectic museums and a vibrant community sports program. If you’re considering a move from a larger Midwest city, remember that this is a smaller market. Read on to learn more about jobs in Crown Point.
Since the renovation of the North Street Corridor, Crown Point has experienced a major economic boost. It’s the hub of Lake County and offers plenty of opportunity for jobseekers. The majority of jobs in Crown Point are in the retail and transportation sectors. Many residents also work in healthcare, the local education system or for one of the town’s recreational facilities. The city is not far from Gary, which currently has an unemployment rate of 5.8 percent. Nationwide, 5.3 percent of Americans are unemployed. The average weekly income in Northwest Indiana is $809, which is lower than the national average of $1,048.
You have much more leeway on your resume than you do on an online application. Take advantage of this power and make sure your sales pitch is professional and easy to read. Here are a few key resume tips for candidates applying to jobs in Crown Point.
1. Highlight accomplishments over duties. Employers are interested in your achievements as well as how and where you exceeded expectations. Rather than simply listing your duties, take this approach to convey your motivation and work ethic.
2. Leave out the word “work. ” This is a generic resume word that carries little, if any, weight. Try to incorporate action verbs like “collaborate,” “direct” and “exceeded. ”
3. Dates are a must. Don’t fret about age discrimination. Employers want to know the lengths of your positions and how much experience you have in each area they are evaluating. Offer this information up front rather than making someone guess.
4. Use numbers. List exact figures wherever you can. Include sales percentages, products, daily hours and the number of employees you managed.
5. Focus on transferrable skills. For all jobs in Crown Point, make sure you know what you can bring to the table. Match your skills to each job description and explain how your expertise can benefit the specific department and the organization as a whole.
Looking for jobs usually takes time, but with a little research, you’re more likely to find a position that matches your skills and interests. Here are some general tips to keep in mind:
1. Network, Network. Many people get jobs because they know people. Get your name out there and don’t miss out on recruiting fairs. Plus, if you’re lucky to snag an interview, you’ll be more comfortable having already met the hiring manager.
2. Be prepared to wait. Each organization hires differently, but the application process for most jobs in Crown Point will be longer than just a few days. Be respectful of timelines, and get started as early as you can.
3. Be prepared for rejection. Competition is fierce, especially in smaller markets. Getting turned down is common simply due to the sheer number of applicants for each position. Be persistent and don’t let this get you down.
4. Do plenty of research. Avoid walking blindly into an interview. Before applying to any jobs in Crown Point, make sure you’ve read up on the organization and job description.
5. Get help if you’re lost. Job seeking can be a hectic process, and there’s nothing wrong with seeking advice. Consider a staffing company or a professional resume builder. If you’re a student, don’t ignore the great resources available in your school’s career center.