Jobs in Cottage Grove, MN
- 45,691 Resumes
- 9,736 Jobs Available
- 35,630 Population
- $51,000 Average Salary
Situated just north of the Mississippi River, Cottage Grove, Minnesota is a suburb of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Area. Once a rural township, the city is now home to nearly 35,000 people. If you are conducting a job search in the area, it will help if you understand the current market and average salaries. The following information will help you as you search for jobs in Cottage Grove.
The Minneapolis area where Cottage Grove is located reported an unemployment rate of just 2.7 percent in November 2015. Not only is this a drop from November 2014's 3.1 percent, it is also well below the national average unemployment rate, which currently sits at 5.3 percent. Transportation and utilities is the most popular industry in Minneapolis-St. Paul, but education and health services and professional and business services aren't far behind. With gains in popularity of 2.7 percent and 3.9 percent, respectively, the two industries are nearly tied for second place. Government and manufacturing round out the top five industries in the area. Retail salespersons, personal care aides and customer service representatives are the three most popular occupations in the city. People in and around Cottage Grove bring home average weekly wages of $1,064, which is nearly equal to the national average, which is $1,048 per week.
If you hope to begin working in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, you will need a professional and well-written resume. Use these guidelines to ensure your resume is as good as it can be.
1. Do create your own design. Almost every applicant will use a basic template from his or her word processing software. Creating your owl helps you to stand out from the crowd. Use black and white to remain professional.
2. Don’t list hobbies and interests, especially if they have nothing to do with your industry.
3. Do keep your resume sharply focused on your industry. If you intend to apply to jobs in more than one industry, write a new resume for each industry.
4. Don’t use past tense to write about a job you’re still doing. Always use present tense to speak about current duties and responsibilities.
5. Do write a summary of your qualifications. Think of it as an eye-catching headline at the top of your resume. Using between four and six lines in paragraph format, discuss the most relevant experience, skills and accomplishments you have.
Finding jobs in Cottage Grove requires goal setting, a solid plan and dedication to completing your plan. The following tips and tricks will help you with your job search.
1. Talk to people in person. If you take the time to make a phone call or stop by someone’s office instead of sending an email — or worse, a Facebook message — it makes you seem more personable and professional.
2. Know all of your options. If your current job lacks open position, consider changing occupations or even industries. In many cases, you can transfer your current skills to a new job. If other cases, a new company would be happy to train you.
3. Assess your skills. If you need to brush up on them, consider local community college courses or free online courses. If neither are an option, contact your local government agency. They might offer free classes or have other leads.
4. Use social media often. Use LinkedIn regularly, search relevant hashtags and accounts on Twitter and join local job groups on Facebook.
5. Polish your resume. Ensure all of your information is updated and correct. Don’t forget to proofread for spelling or grammar mistakes.