Jobs in Columbia, TN
- 71,595 Resumes
- 5,024 Jobs Available
- 36,071 Population
- $51,000 Average Salary
Livability.com has coined Columbia, Tennessee as one of the best places to live in the United States. The town has a population of just under 35,000 people. It’s rich in history and classic southern charm. Columbia, Tennessee is most popular in April when more than 200 thousand people show up for the 4-day Mule Day celebration. If you would love to join this amazing community, make sure you know about the job market in Columbia, and some tips and tricks to landing the perfect job in the area.
The unemployment rate in Columbia is 4.3%, which is less than the national average of 5.2%. The unemployment rate in Columbia has been declining throughout 2015. The rate was 5.1% in June and down to 4.7% in September. The largest occupations in the area are retail sales persons, cashiers, food workers, office clerks and registered nurses.
Before applying for these jobs, make sure you have a fantastic resume to turn in. Here are some important tips for making the best resume possible.
1. Find sample resumes online. If you look online, you can find resume samples for resumes that people created for your industry. Use those samples to get a good idea about the information you need to include and how to format the information.
2. Don’t go over two pages. Except for certain professions, such as positions in the science and medical fields, resumes shouldn’t be more than two pages long. If yours is too long, remove enough work history to bring it back down to two pages.
3. Use a resume builder. Many web sites online have resume builders. They will include the proper headings and formatting. All you have to do is type in the information that it tells you to.
4. Tailor your professional summary to the job. Your professional summary shouldn’t talk about being in the information technology field when you are applying to work at a bookstore. Make more than one resume if you need to.
5. Use bullet lists. Your information after your professional summary, such as your skills and work history, should have your information listed with bullet points. It cleans up your resume and makes it easy to read.
If you’re interested in looking for a job in this charming Tennessee town, here are some tips for your job hunt that you need to consider.
1. Show your face. Don’t do all of your job hunting online. While the internet can give you more prospects in a shorter amount of time, humans are visual creatures. The companies are more likely to hire someone who has come into the business to personally hand in a resume or introduce themselves. If you turn in your resumes online, show up in person at some point before they fill all the spots.
2. Use social media. Even though you should show up in person, you should use the internet, too. Create a LinkedIn profile and network with the professionals in the area. You can even turn in your resume right on the social media site to many employers. Get people to recommend you on LinkedIn so you have a leg to stand on.
3. Follow up on all of your applications. Don’t just turn in an application and/or resume and then forget about it. If you follow up, the company will know that you want the job more than other people who have applied. They might even schedule an interview while you are following up.
4. Meet as many people as possible. Don’t be shy. Use the community events as a way to talk to people in the area. There are six degrees of separation and every time you meet someone, you have a chance that they are linked to someone important in the community.
5. Make several resumes. Make a resume for every type of job that you would consider applying for. If you have skills for technology jobs, management jobs, and you were a chef at some point in your life, make a resume for each position and turn them in everywhere that you can find.