Jobs in College Park, MD
- 77 Resumes
- 55,259 Jobs Available
- 32,256 Population
- $70,000 Average Salary
College Park, Maryland, sits in Prince George’s County. It is home to the University of Maryland, College Park. As you search for jobs in College Park, you need to gather more information related to the economic state of the area. Listed below is some preliminary information about the job market, local job search and salary data.
The average unemployment rate of the United States is 5.3 percent, which is slightly more than 5.0 percent, the unemployment rate in Prince George’s County. This shows that the job market in the area is challenging, yet promising. The top performing industries are professional and business services; government; education and health services; trade, transportation and utilities; and leisure and hospitality. These five industries have grown an average of 1.9 percent in the past year. The largest occupations include retail salesperson, management analyst, general and operations manager and cashier. The average weekly wage of jobs in College Park is $1,099, which is slightly more than the national average weekly wage of $1,048.
Your resume is a critical part of your job search because it is often what introduces you to a hiring manager. Use these tips to ensure that your first impression is a good one:
1. Avoid telling lies on your resume because once they’re found out you will have very little chance of getting the position or building your network.
2. Make sure to include important contact information, such as a personal website, the city and state that you live in, a phone number, an email address and your name.
3. Incorporate a skills highlights section and a summary section to ensure that your resume has a sharp focus.
4. Keep the personal pronouns out of your resume because the hiring manager realizes who this information applies to.
5. Put your job information in order of important to the reader: the title of the position, the name of the company, the state and city that you worked in, the dates of employment and what you did in the position.
Finding jobs in College Park requires patience, determination and information. Use these tips to make your potentially difficult job search a little bit easier:
1. Get in the right mindset. Before you get too deep into your job search, you have to prepare yourself for a long process. Use a spreadsheet to stay organized. Getting in the right, positive mindset can make a huge difference in the outcome of your search.
2. Set daily or weekly goals. These goals can help you stay positive about the lack of achievement. These goals can be as simple as sending out a certain number of applications in a week or talking with a certain number of people in your network in a given day.
3. Do research. Research is imperative to finding jobs in College Park. You have to look at the skills that you have and the skills that you want to use, so you can determine what sort of jobs to look for. You have to do research about different companies, industries and careers. This research will help you figure out where you want to apply to, and it can help you through the interview part of the job search process.
4. Consider using social media. Many employers turn to social media to find candidates, but also to vet candidates. You should use your social media in a professional way. This means you have to remove any controversial information or images and replace them with a description about your skills and experience. You can share articles to set yourself up as a knowledgeable source within the career field.
5. If nothing else, expand your network. Throughout the job search, you will have small realizations that you are not going to get a particular job. Even in these situations you should stay positive and professional because you can use the communication you’re having to expand your network.