Jobs in Cicero, NY
- 167,339 Resumes
- 55,520 Jobs Available
- 31,608 Population
- $57,000 Average Salary
Named after a Roman statesman, Cicero, New York is a community nestled outside the city of Syracuse. Located in Onondaga County, the suburban town is undergoing a retail redevelopment by turning dilapidated properties into new retail plazas. The population is 31,632, according to the 2010 U.S. Census. Get an inside view of the local economy, including average wages and employment prospects, that can assist you with finding jobs in Cicero.
Onondaga County, New York, which includes Syracuse and Cicero, has made economic gains. Between 2014 and 2015, the unemployment rate in Onondaga County declined from 5.4 percent to 4.7 percent, which is a sharp contrast from the average U.S. unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. According to the 2015 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, education and health services sector employs the largest number of individuals in the Syracuse area. The trade, transportation and utilities industry ranks as the second highest area of employment followed by government. The largest occupations in the Syracuse area are retail salespersons followed by cashiers, janitors and cleaners, except housekeeping cleaners and maids. The average weekly wage in Onondaga County is $895. The U.S. average weekly wage is $1,048.
The digital age has changed the way job seekers find employment, but what has not changed is the need for a resume. A high-quality resume makes hunting for jobs in Cicero easier. These do’s and don’ts will help you stand out from the competition.
1. Do know that the purpose of the resume is to get job interviews. So structure it in a way that focuses on the key information that relates to that specific employer and/or position.
2. Do adhere to the two unbreakable rules. The first is no misspelled words or typos. The second is don’t lie about anything, especially your qualifications and work experience.
3. Do consider saving the resume as a Portable Document Format (PDF). There are employers who prefer you email your resume in this format because it is protected against viruses, and it is compatible with all computer operating systems.
4. Don’t forget to mention your previous job locations, meaning city and state. Employers expect you to include this information when you are applying for jobs in Cicero.
5. Don’t use the words like “Responsible for,” Duties included” or “Responsibilities included. ” Instead use phrases that are accomplishment-oriented.
Finding jobs in Cicero is an easier task when you take the right action steps. The advice below can help you reach your career goals in a competitive job market.
1. Mix creativity with proactivity. Utilize your LinkedIn and personal network to obtain company information and contact hiring managers. Send brief emails to hiring managers by addressing their needs and offering solutions on how you can solve them.
2. Maximize the way you use Twitter. For example, use position specific keywords in your profile. When sending tweets include a link to your website, resume, blog, Facebook or LinkedIn profile. Also send tweets referencing the latest news and developments in your industry. Show your personality online but keep it professional.
3. Combine a variety of online job-search methods. Increasingly, recruiters on posting job openings on social media as opposed to traditional job boards. Find jobs in Cicero using LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
4. Prepare for a lengthy job search. Keep a positive mindset and stay focused on your career goals. Identify your strongest gifts, talents and skills. Improve in the areas that are needed and maintain your self-confidence for jobs in Cicero.
5. Work on your interview skills by practicing with someone. Practice answering the most common questions. For instance, employers often want job candidates to describe themselves. Identify your strengths and be clear on what you want them to know, so you can share your personal traits with confidence.