Jobs in Chesterfield, MO
- 65,237 Resumes
- 11,780 Jobs Available
- 47,777 Population
- $58,000 Average Salary
Chesterfield is one of the east most major towns in Missouri. It is just 20 miles west of St. Louis and has a population just below 50,000. If you are looking for jobs in Chesterfield, it is important that you have an understanding of the job market, job prospects, and average wages in the area. This short guide will help you begin your research.
The market for jobs in Chesterfield is very consistent with the average market across the nation. The unemployment rate is 4.4 percent, which is much lower than the national average of 5.3 percent, but this figure does increase to as much as 5.5 percent when moving closer to St. Louis. The average weekly income is about $1,000, which is comparable to the national average of $1,048. The largest industries in Chesterfield are utilities, health care services, business services, hospitality and government. Most of the industries in the area are not seeing major change, but the health care field is growing significantly. The most common occupations in Chesterfield are in retail and customer service, however the number of registered nurses is much higher than average.
Your resume will likely be the most important part of your search for jobs in Chesterfield. The following do’s and don’ts will help any resume writer create a document that will make their search more successful.
1. Write your resume in an active way. Focus on the things that you have done, rather than job descriptions, lists of facts, or summaries. In fact, you should start each point in your experiences section with a strong action verb.
2. Think about what your resume looks like at a glance. Are there large, intimidating blocks of text or unused, blank spaces? Because you cannot assume that every employer will read every resume they receive, you should make yours as appealing as possible.
3. Try to be unique. You need to find a way to make your resume stand out from all the others. You should make your content unique, but it can even be effective to simply make your formatting different.
4. Use online resources. There is plenty of information and resume building tools readily available online. This will help your resume be strong, as well as conform with the expectations employers have for it.
5. Make sure you understand what the standard resume format is. If your resume does not line up with the expectations, it may be passed over before anyone even begins reading it.
When looking for jobs in Chesterfield, there are several simple steps you can take to make the whole process simpler. With the economy changing, it is important to know what actions work in today’s job market.
1. Be persistent and determined. When an opportunity arises, always follow it as far as possible. Do not give up until you receive a definitive answer. Average job searches are getting longer and longer, so do not get discouraged.
2. Have a plan. You should figure out what kind of job you are seeking and determine what the best way to achieve it is. There may be hiring practice quirks that are unique to your field. It is your responsibility to know as much as possible.
3. Know what your other options are. You may not be able to find the exact job you are looking for. When this happens, you should already know what other fields will be relevant and beneficial to work in.
4. Always follow up with a phone call. Many applicants are filtered out simply because they never contact the employer again. By taking this simple step, you separate yourself from a great portion of the competition.
5. Make use of online resources. Everything from databases to assessments to interview tips can be found on the Internet for free. Supplement your job search to help increase your chances of being hired.