A well-crafted resume is the first step in landing a position as a professional security officer. This step-by-step guide shows you how to format a resume that highlights your distinctive skills and experiences as a security officer.
1. Contact Information
Begin by providing your contact information. Start with your name, and include a professional-sounding email address followed by a phone number and address.
John R. Smith
2. Resume Summary Statement
The next section is a four- to six-line paragraph stating a few key points to pique the reader’s interest. Knowing how to format a resume summary statement allows you to create a brief picture of your security experience and skills. Sentence fragments are acceptable in the resume summary statement.
Ten years of experience as a law enforcement officer. Supervised a team of 20 officers. Led five, high-profile investigations resulting in the arrest and prosecution of major offenders. Certified to carry and use firearms. Conducted training seminars for new officers.
3. Areas of Expertise or Skills
Security officer positions require communication, technical and often weaponry skills. Format this section as a table with three to eight items in each column. Use short phrases that will also serve as security industry keywords in online searches.
- Skilled in interrogation techniques
- Expert in facial recognition software
- Adept at report writing
- Experienced with closed-circuit camera systems
- Currently training for firearm certification in use of less-lethal weapons
- Received designation of high honors three years in a row for exemplary service
- Obtained expert status in use of ABC Facial Recognition Systems
- Implemented weapons training program resulting in 25-percent reduction of officer injuries
- Rose to level of Lieutenant
- Implemented state-of-the-art weapons training program
- Awarded grant for the state’s first facial recognition software
- Reduced officer injury rates by 25 percent
- Reduced officer absence rates by 45 percent
- Taser and Less-Lethal Weapons Continuing Education Seminar, City Technical School
- Interrogation Techniques Continuing Education Seminar, City Technical School
- Coursework in Cyber Forensics, City State University
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, City State University
- Surveillance and Security Professionals of America
- State Law Enforcement Management Organization
If you have received any awards or accomplishments relating to the security profession, feature these distinctions in this optional section.
Learning how to format a resume experience section is essential to your security officer resume. Your experience shows potential security agencies that you can handle the stress of a security position. Use bullet points to provide a list of your previous employers in chronological order, starting with the most recent. Include location, dates and specifics on special projects or leadership elements.
2002-2015: City Police Department, City, State
Security agencies are always looking for college graduates in multiple fields. Knowing how to format a resume education section allows you to concisely list your degree and educational accomplishments. Just like with the experience section, list the most recent degree or program first. Completion dates are optional unless the employer requires them.
7. Professional Memberships
For security officer positions, belonging to security or surveillance organizations can set you apart from other applicants. Use bullet points to list your current memberships.
8. Licenses and Certifications
Learning how to format a resume license and certification section is important in a security officer resume because some positions require the ability to carry and use firearms. Security professionals need to quickly ascertain if you have the required license to perform the job. List any relevant state or federal firearm, weapon or technology licenses here.
State Law Enforcement Licensing Agency (SLEWA) Level 1 Firearms License
To polish your professional security officer resume even further, you may find the tips on LiveCareer helpful.