The role of the human resources manager is much more in-depth than it was in years past. Put your best foot forward by following these steps on how to format a resume that helps you stand out above the other human resources manager applicants.
1. Contact Information
Include your name first, then your email address, your phone number and your physical address. Current standards allow you to forgo your entire home address; just be sure to name your city and state.
John Z. Smith
Your City, Your State
2. Resume Summary Statement
Writing a resume summary statement is simple. If you’re unsure about how to format a resume in this regard, start by wording this section in four to six fragments that draw from past work experiences, emphasizing your ability to meet the needs of your employer. Use a paragraph form rather than bullet points in this section.
Seven years’ experience working as a human resources manager in a large corporation. Five years’ experience in a departmental supervisory position. Cut employee absence rates by 50 percent. Excellent skills in MS Access and Kronos human resource management software.
3. Areas of Expertise or Skills
As a human resources manager, you’ll be responsible for a variety of tasks. Format this section with three to eight items that highlight your management and delegation abilities. Shoot for short phrases that search engines will recognize as human resources keywords.
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Sensitive to cultural and demographic differences
- Policy review and implementation
- Delegation of tasks
- Attention to detail
- Maintenance of personnel records
- Meeting planning
- Development of successful on-boarding procedures
- Received Award of Excellence in HRM Service three years running
- Named Top Human Resources Manager for ABC Company five years in a row
- Implemented a software system that cut personnel turnover rates in half
- Served as human resources manager recruiting personnel for 17 departments nationwide
- Implemented the new industry standard for HRM software strategies
- Reduced turnover rates by 50 percent
- Managed nationwide department with staff of 250+ members
- Compiled reports and implemented hiring policies
- Assisted with transition from brick-and-mortar-based to mobile-based staffing priorities
- Kronos in Large Corporations, City Technical School
- MS Office Suite and Access Training, City Technical School
- Coursework in Sociology, Your University
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Your University
- National Human Resources Association
- Professionals in Human Resources Association
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR), Human Resource Certification Institute
- Society for Human Resource Management-Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
Add an accomplishments section only if you have three or more awards or accomplishments relating to human resources management. If you have fewer than three notable accomplishments to list, simply incorporate them into the experience section instead.
Knowing how to format a resume experience section further shows your professional skills. Starting with the most recent position you’ve held, list your past employers and the names of the companies you’ve worked for. For dates, only include the month and year, or the year only, so long as the format is consistent.
2008-2015: Human Resources Manager, ABC Company, City, State
2003-2008: Department Manager, XYZ Company, City, State
Human resources managers serve diverse populations. When you know how to format a resume education section, you can list your membership in student organizations that may have helped raise awareness for social issues. Always list these items in reverse chronological order.
7. Professional Memberships
Only current memberships should be listed in this section unless you’ve held a previous leadership role.
8. Licenses and Certifications
It’s common for human resources managers to have professional certifications. List these toward the bottom of your resume.
If you’re looking for more information on how to format a resume, you may find the tips and hints on LiveCareer useful.