Below you’ll find an example of a salary increase letter, a form of communication that can work especially well for people who find it easier to express themselves in writing when it comes to tough-to-talk-about topics. Use the letter as a guide to creating your own salary increase letter.
Before getting started, find out how much you should be getting paid for your background, skills, and experience with our Salary Calculator. And be sure to read this article published on LiveCareer: Getting the Raise You Deserve.
And for more tools and resources related to the workplace, including getting a salary increase, check out our Workplace Resources for Job-Seekers.
Sample Salary Increase Request Letter
To: Mr. Joe M. Boss
From: Scott Hent
Date: February 7, 2017
Subject: Raise Request
Dear Mr. Boss,
I appreciate the opportunity I’ve had during the last three years to serve as a vital member of the marketing and sales support team. This past year has been an especially challenging one for our business, but my accomplishments have continued to build on my earlier achievements, and I have high expectations for this success to continue for the foreseeable future. Below are some highlights of how I have helped the department and the company in the past year:
1. Developed a proposal that brought a client from the brink of terminating our services to renewing at a higher level than before, adding a net gain of $500,000.
2. Partnered with several sales team members to attract new business opportunities, totaling $1.2 million.
3. Conceptualized, proposed, and produced a market research study that serves as a valuable tool for our industry, increasing our visibility, and making it easier for our sales team to call on prospective clients.
4. Served on two company-wide task forces that identified redundancies, cut costs, and saved the company several million dollars.
5. Participated in and attended four professional meetings, increasing the visibility of the company within the industry.
6. Mentored and trained three interns who handled many routine functions within the department, freeing up team members to focus on new client development and current client retention.
7. Proposed new projects, and completed all new tasks and assignments by their proposed due dates.
I look forward to continuing to play a key role within the department, and given all of my recent accomplishments and that my salary is below industry averages, I am confident that you will offer a salary increase that reflects these issues and my standing in the department. I look forward to discussing my request further in person.
Go to Job-Hunting Samples and Examples for Job-Seekers, where you’ll find free samples of just about every job-search tool you’ll need to be successful.