Here are the keys to successfully requesting an increase in salary or wages. Following these simple rules and guidelines should help you achieve success in getting the raise you deserve.
- Do have a plan and a strategy for getting the raise you deserve.
- Don’t make ultimatums, beg, whine, or get angry. Do be professional.
- Do Do have an idea of your value both inside the company and on the job market, by using our Salary Calculator. And do use these salary negotiation resources.
- Don’t be unrealistic in seeking too much of a raise. Do have an idea of the parameters you should expect.
- Do be flexible in considering perks other than a monetary raise if money is tight within the department or organization.
- Don’t focus on the raise you need. Instead, do focus on the raise you deserve.
- Do demonstrate your value, accomplishments, and contributions to your department and your organization. Don’t assume your work speaks for itself. Consider using something like this accomplishments worksheet.
- Don’t be intimidated by the process. Do ask for a raise if you deserve one.
- Do have a thorough understanding of the negotiation process and plan a strategy accordingly.
- Don’t blindside your boss in the hallway for a raise; do schedule an appointment to discuss a raise.
- Do be persistent in asking for a raise, but don’t ask too often — and do know the proper policies and procedures of the organization.
- Don’t be overtly disappointed if you do not get the raise you desire, but do ask for suggestions on how you can get the raise you want at your next raise meeting.
- Do focus on your future with the organization.
- Do consider enlisting the help of a mentor within the organization.
- Do read our article, Getting the Raise You Deserve.
- Do read our article, Clever Ways to Get a Raise: Perks you Might Not Have Thought About.
Read all our job-hunting do’s and don’ts articles for job-seekers.
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.
Stay up to date with the latest salary information form LiveCareer’s Salary Calculator!