A personal mission statement for a resume is one of the most crucial elements of your application because it helps the recruiter or hiring manager identify the strategic value you might add to the company.
Also referred to as a personal summary statement, the mission statement appears at the top of a resume and should quickly and concisely market your skills, strengths, and experience with the hopes of receiving an interview request email. It should also help you stand out from the crowd.
Writing Your Personal Mission Statement
All statements should include a few key elements; the tips below can help you start the process of gathering the information to write your mission statement.
- Jot down four or five instances where you’ve achieved success in a past job. Identify the ones that relate to the position you’re applying for.
- Create a list of key attributes that describe who you are and what your priorities are. Narrow the list down to four or five of the most important values.
- Note ways you can make a difference in your career and make a list of personal goals. Think in terms of both short-term and long-term goals.
Craft your resume summary with the information you’ve gathered above. Use three short phrases. Begin with your most professional qualifier. Keep your statement short and to the point and avoid using first-person pronouns (I or me).
Your statement should be no more than 200 words in length. Match your skills to the job specifications and be sure to proofread to ensure it reads well.
9 Inspiring Personal Mission Statement Examples
Inspiring mission statements often lead to an interview request email. Consider the following nine examples when creating a resume.
Mission Statement for a Resume for a Financial Professional
Career-Changer Mission Statement for a Resume
Mission Statement for a Resume for a Warehouse Supervisor
Marketing Manager Mission Statement for a Resume
Human Resources Mission Statement for a Resume
Mission Statement for a Resume for an IT Professional
Social Media Specialist Mission Statement for a Resume
Mission Statement for a Resume for a Sales Professional
Mission Statement for a Resume for a Prior Small Business Owner
More Mission Statements for Your Career
Most companies, especially Fortune 500 companies, have corporate mission statements that detail the purpose or direction of the company. Personal mission statements provide the same type of information but serve as an invisible hand guiding you in your career. It helps you identify your core beliefs and values and offers a brief insight into what success means to you as an individual.
By providing a company with your mission statement, you help recruiters identify if your goals align with the organization as a whole and are one step closer to an interview request email.
For more help on creating a resume and crafting a personal mission statement, check out the following links.
- The Five-Step Plan for Creating Personal Mission Statements
- Using a Personal Mission Statement to Chart Your Career Course.
- Sample job-seeker mission statement #1
- Sample job-seeker mission statement #2
- Sample job-seeker mission statement #3
- Sample job-seeker mission statement #4
- Sample job-seeker mission statement #5