- Beware of Bad Boss, by Chris Ott.
- Dealing With Bad, Ineffective Managers and Bosses, from About.com.
- Dealing with Difficult Bosses by Amy Schurr.
- Ten Things That Bad Managers Do, by Cyndi Maxey.
- 5 Types of Bad Boss and How to Handle Them.
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say, by Liz Ryan at Bloomberg Businessweek.
Finally, find some other great tips and suggestions in our Do’s and Don’ts of Dealing With a Bad Boss.
Not All Bosses Are Bad
As much as we like to complain about our bosses, a recent survey found that 79 percent of workers respect their bosses a great deal. The survey, by accounting and financial staffing company Ajilon Finance, also asked what were the most important traits for a boss to posses:
- Leading by example
- Strong ethics or morals
- Knowledge of the business
- Overall intelligence and competence
- Recognition of employees
Questions about some of the terminology used in this article? Get more information (definitions and links) on key college, career, and job-search terms by going to our Job-Seeker’s Glossary of Job-Hunting Terms. Dr. Randall S. Hansen is founder of Quintessential Careers, one of the oldest and most comprehensive career development sites on the Web, as well CEO of EmpoweringSites.com. He is also founder of MyCollegeSuccessStory.com and EnhanceMyVocabulary.com. He is publisher of Quintessential Careers Press, including the Quintessential Careers electronic newsletter, QuintZine. Dr. Hansen is also a published author, with several books, chapters in books, and hundreds of articles. He’s often quoted in the media and conducts empowering workshops around the country. Finally, Dr. Hansen is also an educator, having taught at the college level for more than 15 years. Visit his personal Website or reach him by email at randall(at)quintcareers.com. Check out Dr. Hansen on GooglePlus.