Handling frequently asked interview questions:
What are Your Weaknesses?
Choices for responding to weakness question:
Give a negative that’s really a positive:
- “I am sometimes impatient, which drives me to work excessively.”
- “If I start on a project, I sometimes forget to go to lunch.”
- “Since I’m such a perfectionist, I sometimes find it hard to delegate because I’m concerned others won’t do the job as well as I can.”
Caution: The perfectionist response is overused.
Give a negative that is really inconsequential and has little to do with how well you would perform the job:
- “I am not a great speller, so I keep a dictionary handy.”
More choices for responding to weakness question:
- Simply reassure the interviewer that you know of no weaknesses that would stand in the way of your performing this job.
- Reveal a trait that once was a weakness, but explain how you overcame it and learned from it.
Go to Job Interviewing Tutorial for Job-Seekers Home Page
Go to Job Interviewing Tutorial for Job-Seekers Site Map
Have you checked out the rest of the great free career and job-related tutorials offered on Quintessential Careers?
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.