I have been struggling with an employment situation where I am not happy in my present corporate role. I have tentatively accepted another position approximately 4 miles from where I work now but the job does not come available until December of this year. I have been offered another position out of state as of last week. The gist of my dilemma is I am in the golf industry as a maverick troubleshooter for golf courses. I was approached a week ago by the owner of the third-largest professional golf tour in the U.S. and asked to come to work with the tour. I hosted his tour at two different facilities and he has offered me the opportunity to run the entire tour operation for the country. The move would entail moving my family to Atlanta. I was hoping to settle after doing course restructuring for the past seven years being involved with three different corporations and 12 properties in 6+ states. My question is to you; I know I am leaving my current situation soon; the tour offer is now and my prior commitment is not until December can I go back on my prior commitment (no contract just an owner who knows my abilities) and do I move my family again? I have seen the ceiling in both course options and see only endless possibilities with the tour. My wife understands the situation and tells me to do what my heart and soul tells me. My son said he will miss me being away at first if we were to move. All salaries incentives and benefits are similar except the tour offers two jets for travel when needed. WHAT TO DO????? The gentleman who owns the tour asked me to put down on paper what I wanted and he would have it drawn up as an agreement. That is where I FOUND you — looking for samples of offer-negotiation letters.
The Career Doctor responds:
Robin you can certainly go back on your prior commitment since all you had was a verbal agreement. But before you do anything about it first make sure you have a signed contract with the tour that meets your requirements. The worst thing you can do is to contact the golf course and tell him you’ve changed your mind and then have the tour job fall apart.
Since the tour is what you want to do – I get that from reading between the lines of your email – and your family supports your decision I say go for it. And once you have the signed a contract with the tour write a letter and/or call the owner of your previous commitment and try not to burn that bridge. If the person knows of your abilities he or she will be disappointed in not getting your expertise in December but should also understand your opportunity with the tour and your desire to start there now.
Best of luck to you and your family with the new job and with yet another move.