I’ve an MBA. How can I obtain suitable employment? Where are all the jobs that our government claims are available? I have been out of school for a year and have not been offered one full-time position paying a livable wage. Why?
The Career Doctor responds:
I’m not sure how to answer you partly because most of the things I’ve read and many of the employers I’ve talked with all point to strong demand for MBAs. I would suggest getting your entire job-hunting technique – including resume(s) and cover letters – evaluated by a professional such as the career placement office from the college where you earned your MBA.
Once you know that your job-hunting tools and techniques are sound I would suggest the following plans:
- use the career placement office to locate leads;
- if possible look beyond your immediate location especially if it is a small town;
- join (if not already) one or more industry associations and network network network! For more tips on networking visit Quintessential Careers:
The Art of Networking;
- join (if not already) one or more Internet discussion groups that are related to your professional interests and goals and network there;
- visit search job openings and post your resume at one or more of the top job sites such as ours at Quint Careers;
- visit one or more of the MBA-specific job and networking sites.
You can find a list of them at College Grad Career & Job Resources.