A friend who works in HR told me my resume is unfocused and too generic. How can I make it more focused?
The Career Doctor responds:
Here are ways to consider sharpening the focus of your resume:
- Use a branding statement or headline or both atop your resume.
- Add a profile/qualifications summary with keywords relevant to the job you seek.
- Add a keyword section relevant to the job you seek.
- Beef up portrayal of accomplishments and transferable skills. Be sure to spotlight
skills that apply to what you want to do next.
- Use our Cover Letter and Resume Customization Worksheet to help you sharpen your focus.
- For college students and new grads: Consider adding class projects in your major
(or other classes) that are applicable to what you want to do upon graduation.
Riskier options for sharpening your focus:
- Consider a chrono-functional format. Organize your resume around skills
clusters that directly apply to the job you seek.
- Use an objective statement.