Hi I am currently in my undergraduate studies and for one of my term papers we have to research 3 companies and come up with questions and answers to things that might be important to know before an interview. Do you know of any sources that would have a good number of things that are relevant and useful in a job search?
The Career Doctor responds:
Having knowledge about a company and the industry (or industries) it operates in is critical to interviewing success. Employers want job candidates who take the time to do a little research. A great place to start of course is Quintessential Careers: Guide to Researching Companies.
Questions you could easily research (partly dependent on whether you are researching a public or private company:
- strengths/weaknesses of key industry company operates in;
- key competitors in the industry;
- recent news about the company (new plants takeovers etc.)
- past quarter six-months or annual sales performance;
- past quarter six-months or annual profits (or losses);
- recent stock performance (if a public company).