Jobs in Calumet City, IL
- 117,647 Resumes
- 73,848 Jobs Available
- 37,213 Population
- $72,000 Average Salary
Calumet City, Illinois is a small city with a population of just 40,000 about 20 miles south of Chicago. Its close proximity to such a major establishment grants its citizens certain benefits, especially when looking for jobs in Calumet City. To begin your search, use this guide to gain an understanding of the job market in the area and local average wages.
While the job market in Calumet City is a little weak, average wages are consistent with the national average. Typical weekly wages are as high as $1,062. The unemployment rate is about 5.5 percent, which is higher than the national average of 5.3 percent, but it is lower than it was in Calumet City last year. The largest industries in the city and the surrounding parts of Cook County are utilities, business services, health care services, government, and hospitality. Additionally, the construction field is seeing great growth, while the mining and logging fields are shrinking. The most common jobs in Calumet City are retail salespersons and movers.
One of the most important aspects when seeking jobs in Calumet City is your resume. This may make the difference between being hired and being passed on, so take the following steps into consideration.
1. Find a way to stand out. Your resume should emphasize attributes that are unique to you. Remember that employers will be looking at many different resumes, so you should try your best not to blend into the crowd.
2. Be specific when writing. Incorporate elements of the specific job you are applying for and rework your resume for each new job you sent it to. It can be tempting to include general information, but you should avoid this.
3. Research standard resume formatting. If you do not follow the expectations exactly, there is a chance some employers will not even bother reading your resume. There are ways to make your resume personal, but you should not play with the format.
4. Take the time to analyze your resume after finishing. You should always find and eliminate errors, but you should also keep an eye out for large blocks of text and wasted space. These elements should also be removed from your resume.
5. Make your resume active. The most important information to include is the things you have done. If you keep the lists of facts, summaries, and other passive sections to a minimum, you will have a strong resume.
Looking for jobs in Calumet City can be difficult, but taking the proper action can make the process easier. Take a look at the following tips to kick your job search off.
1. Know what your plan is. Each field has unique aspects in their hiring practices. If you understand what the typical expectations and qualifications are, you can focus your search and increase your success.
2. Know what other options you have. It can be easy to focus on a single type of job and fail to see any other opportunities that present themselves. There is likely to be many different positions that will benefit your career, so know what these are before starting.
3. Be relentless. Many applicants are filtered out for any opening simply because they give up. If you do not hear back from the employers, do not assume the worst. It is expected that you follow up your application and any interviews with a phone call.
4. Stay positive. In addition to making your job search less stressful, employers like someone with a good attitude. The average time it takes to be hired is getting longer, so do not be discouraged if it takes longer than you anticipate.
5. Utilize your network and online resources. These tools, including databases, assessments, and the connections you make, can significantly improve your search.