Jobs in Burbank, CA
- 386,449 Resumes
- 51,730 Jobs Available
- 105,368 Population
- $64,000 Average Salary
Burbank, CA is a city/suburb of Los Angeles. Because of Burbank’s close proximity to Hollywood and its many media/movie/entertainment companies (Walt Disney, Warner Bros., ABC, NBC, etc.), Burbank, CA has become known as “the Media Capital of the World.” It is also home to Woodbury University and Los Angeles Valley (Community) College. Temps average between 80 to 88 degrees in summer and 67+ degrees in the winter months. Burbank is an employment center first. If you’re looking for a job in Burbank, CA you’ll need to be familiar with the local job market, job prospects, and average salaries. Full-time, part-time, and internships may be found at the City of Burbank, Burbank Unified School District, as well as in the local media, entertainment, telecommunications, and Internet companies.
The Burbank, CA area is included in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA Metropolitan Division and Los Angeles County. It had a Sep 2015 unemployment rate of 6.2 percent. This is down from 8.1 percent in Sep 2014, but still above the national average of 5.2 percent and the 5.9 percent state average (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). Burbank, CA employment has been concentrated in sales and related, office and administrative support, and food preparation and serving related sectors. As of May 2014, occupations employing the most workers in the Burbank, CA area were: 1.Retail salespersons2.Office clerks (general)3.Cashiers4.Laborers and freight, stock, and material movers (hand)5. Food preparation and serving related (including fast food)The top performing industries in the Burbank, CA area (per percent of total employment), include:1.Office and administrative support occupations (17.7 percent)2.Sales/ and related occupations (10.4 percent)3.Food preparation and serving related occupations (9.2 percent)4.Transportation and material moving (7.2 percent)5.Education, training, and library and management occupations (5.7 percent)Overall, Burbank employment was significantly higher (May 2014) in arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media, management, and office and administrative support sectors. Conversely, Burbank employment sectors of healthcare practitioners and technical, construction and extraction, and installation, maintenance, and repair have employment shares significantly lower than the national averages. The largest area employers in the Burbank, CA area, in addition to Walt Disney, Warner Bros., and the American Broadcasting Company (ABC), include the Bob Hope Airport, Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Kaiser Permanente (administrative offices), Yahoo!, and Foto-Kern Industries.
Submit your resume, or include it with the job application, to the employer to get a job interview. A resume is part of the process. It 1) serves as a basis for interview, 2) is a post-interview reference for the recruiter, and 3) helps justify the hiring decision. A well-written resume is necessary to ensure an interview. Tips for an effective resume include:
1. Basic criteria which should:
• be focused
• must have a neat/clean appearance/format
• include a keyword summary
• include a list of your transferrable skills and accomplishments
2. All resumes must include:
• Contact information (phone, cell, email)
• Qualifications/Keyword Summary, Licenses/Certifications, Affiliations/Memberships, Military, Language Proficiencies, “References Available Upon Request. ”
3. Use an organized format (chronological format: most recent to past/least recent)
4. Do not exaggerate or lie about the facts.
5. Check for misspelled words, formatting, and typos.
6. DO NOT INCLUDE: Height/weight, age, date/place of birth, marital status, gender, race, or social security number.
Your Burbank, CA job search can be made easier by following some basic tips:
• Keep your skills and knowledge of your industry in the particular area (Burbank) current – Attend skills (re)training, read industry and professional reports and journals, browse online job banks (who is hiring; open positions).
• Network – Linkedin, Facebook, professional and community associations, job-hunt groups, and job fairs in the particular area (Burbank) provide connections and company and job opportunity information.
• Expand your presence – Incorporate basic keywords that link viewers to your resume, blog, Facebook/Linkedin profile, etc. Search companies and jobs. Distribute your resume on Twitter.
• Use ALL job search tools amd resources – Don’t just check job boards. Recruiters also check social media sites (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) for candidates. Keep your network information and resume current.
• Be positive. Organize. Follow-up on leads. Practice interviewing.
• Update your resume and professional reference list.