Jobs in Brookhaven, GA
- 755,838 Resumes
- 5,504 Jobs Available
- 51,079 Population
- $63,000 Average Salary
Located directly northeast in the suburbs of Atlanta, the city of Brookhaven, GA, is the largest in Dekalb County. It was incorporated in December 2012. In the 2010 North Atlanta CDP (Census Designated Places) survey by the U.S. Census Bureau, the population was listed at 40, 456. Brookhaven has large mixed-use areas of retail and residential developments and is home to the AT&T Mobility headquarters. Take a look at the economic prospects, including job opportunities and their average salaries to help you understand the market and find jobs in the Brookhaven area.
With the proximity to a vast amount of opportunities not only in Brookhaven proper, but to the rest of Dekalb and Atlanta in Fulton County, the economic outlook continues to make positive strides. From the numbers released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate has dropped a full percentage point from late 2014 to the end of 2015 from 6% to 5%, which is .3 points lower than the national average. The largest number of people are employed in the business and professional fields, with the addition of 25,100 jobs in the Atlanta area. Trade, transportation and utilities listed a gain of 3.2%, coming in as the second largest areas of employment. The largest occupations are office and administrative support, followed by sales and related jobs. Within Dekalb and Fulton County, the average weekly wage is slightly higher than the national average, coming in at $1,338 as compared to $1,048 from the end of 2013 to the last part of 2014.
When you are looking for jobs in Brookhaven, a resume of top-notch quality is a must. From format to content, this personal showcase can make you rise about the competition with these following do’s and don’ts.
1. Do phrase your experience as accomplishments rather than duties. This is a more meaningful way of showing your skills to a potential employer.
2. Do consider a resume format separate from standard Microsoft Word templates. But it still should remain clean and readable with consistent formatting throughout the document.
3. Do proofread very, very carefully. A spelling and grammar check through your word processing program is not comprehensive.
4. Don’t emphasize older experience. Positions that are more than 15 years old should either be listed very simply, or in a separate area titled ‘Previous Professional Experience’.
5. Don’t lie on your resume. Period.
Finding jobs in Brookhaven takes a combination of determination and a positive outlook, as well as honed skill sets for job searching and interviewing. Consider these tips while searching for the next step of your career.
1. Hone your social media presence. Profiles on LinkedIn and other business profile sites can be helpful for positive exposure.
2. Make sure you follow up on all leads. Hiring managers are very busy, and until you get a definite “no”, you are still a potential “yes”.
3. While you are searching for that perfect full-time position, you may be able to do contract work to fill in the gap. This is not only good for you financially, but will help to fill in “red flag” gaps in your resume.
4. Constantly network. A combination of online communications and face-to-face events provide many opportunities to showcase your best self to potential employers.
5. Study professional journals in your field for the latest industry news. This will keep you relevant, and the research provides for great additional talking points in interviews that can be very impressive to hiring managers.