Jobs in Brookfield, WI
- 50,280 Resumes
- 22,567 Jobs Available
- 37,982 Population
- $52,000 Average Salary
Located in southeastern Wisconsin, Brookfield’s city motto is ‘Minutes from Milwaukee, Miles from Expected’. Indeed, as the third largest city in Waukesha County with 37,920 residents according to the 2010 census, Brookfield is a unique city with a rich historical past and a promising present. Those who are seeking jobs in Brookfield will be interested in the demographic diversity of the area, along with the major industries, popular occupations and highest earning careers in the Milwaukee area. For this information, along with tips for Brookfield job searches and resume building, read on.
The Milwaukee metropolitan area, which includes Brookfield, is thriving with economic potential for job seekers. Waukesha County enjoys a very low unemployment rate of 3.5 percent, compared to the national average of 5.3 percent. The highest performing industry is education and health services, which grew by 3.7 percent between 2014-2015, followed by trade, transportation and utilities. Professional and business services ranks third, with manufacturing coming in directly behind it in fourth place. Government ranks fifth in the top employing industries. General office clerks and retail salespersons represent the two major occupations of the Milwaukee area. Amongst all workers in the Waukesha County area, the average weekly wage is $948, which is just below the national average of $1,048.
There are a handful of essential pieces of advice that make or break a killer resume. Regardless of what your chosen industry is or what point you have reached in your career, take these tips into account when building or updating your resume.
1. Increasingly, recruiters are coming to rely on keywords to pre-screen stacks of resumes so that they are sure to be dealing with resumes of individuals who at least fit the minimum requirements for the job. Make sure your resume includes the keywords appropriate to your desired position.
2. Do use resume templates, but take care to tweak and polish it so that yours doesn’t look like a cookie-cutter copy of everyone else’s resume.
3. While it’s not necessary to include your mailing or street address on your resume, make sure you do include your name, professional email address, phone number and possibly social media handles.
4. Don’t list references directly on your resume, unless they are required.
5. If sending your resume in an email or submitting it online, make sure you have a consistent format that will look good across a variety of operating systems. If required, you may have to submit your resume in a specific electronic format, such as a PDF or Word document.
If you are looking for jobs in Brookfield, it may be helpful to begin your search by making a game plan. Along the way, incorporate the following job hunting advice into your strategy to make your job search as painless as possible.
1. Divide the energy and time that you put into your job search between virtual efforts on online job boards and in-person networking, interviewing and connecting. Both ways of reaching recruiters are important in the modern job search.
2. One way to explore your career options is by setting up informational interviews. These sessions aren’t interviews for you, but instead they give you insight into what a particular career or occupation is really like.
3. Some career centers and educational organizations offer job search and career training, which is especially helpful if you’re considering switching careers, industries or departments.
4. Focus on honing your skills and specializing within your field by updating any certifications that you have, increasing your knowledge of technology and keeping up with industry news that interests you.
5. Finally, before launching a job hunt, take steps to make sure that your online presence is something that you are comfortable with your employers seeing. Look for yourself on major search engines and social media sites and ensure that your identity is professional and polished.