Jobs in Brentwood, TN
- 419 Resumes
- 18,201 Jobs Available
- 40,982 Population
- $54,000 Average Salary
The city of Brentwood, TN in Williamson County is a suburb located just 18 miles South of Nashville. With a 2014 estimated population of 40, 982, Brentwood is listed as one of America’s wealthiest cities relative to the national cost of living rates. Those seeking jobs in Brentwood will find that the bulk of employment opportunities exist in Nashville proper; therefore, the information that follows relating to economy, job market and salaries is specific to the city of Nashville.
The outlook for jobs in Brentwood is positive as the unemployment rate in the Nashville area has dropped from 5.1% to 4.3% over the last year, making it a full 1% lower than the current national unemployment rate of 5.3%. Among the many businesses in Nashville, the five top performing industries are trade, transportation and utilities; professional and business services; education and health services; government; and leisure and hospitality. The largest occupations within these industries include retail sales, laborers and freight, stock and material movers, cashiers, team assemblers and customer service representatives. Employees can expect an average weekly wage of $1,002 in the Nashville area compared to an annual average weekly wage of $1,048.
All too often, the first impression an employer has of a potential employee is their resume. Because this is the case, your resume must present you in the most favorable light. Regardless of the type of work or the industry, there are some definite do’s and don’ts when it comes to creating an effective resume.
1. Do keep your resume short. In general, a resume should be no more than two pages long for a couple of reasons. First, a shorter resume will help keep you focused on the important points. Second, since most employers spend an average of six seconds looking over each resume, shorter lengths ensure greater attention.
2. Don’t describe what you did at previous jobs. Employers want to know what skills and abilities you have that will specifically benefit their organization, not the duties you performed in past positions.
3. Do provide personal contact information. Your resume should begin with your name, address, telephone number, and email address along with any other pertinent contact information. If an employer is interested in you, you want to be easily reachable.
4. Don’t include personal statistics such as height, weight, age, gender or other information that might be considered controversial such as religious or political affiliations.
5. Do proof read carefully because grammatical errors and misspelled words give the impression that you lack attention to detail and professionalism.
Effective job search strategies remain the same regardless of the city where you wish to work. Finding jobs in Brentwood, Nashville or elsewhere becomes more manageable when you take the appropriate actions.
1. Employ numerous networking strategies that include contact with colleagues and former coworkers, as well as social media options such as LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
2. Commit to spending a set amount of time looking for jobs each day, to applying for a certain number of positions each week, and to following up on at least one promising lead each day, week or month.
3. Practice your interview skills. There are a host of internet sites that provide job specific interview questions to help you hone your responses, in addition there are employment agencies and job centers that offer mock interviews.
4. Follow up on applications and resumes with a telephone call. So much of today’s communication takes place through emails and text messages that actually speaking to a potential employer will set you apart from the other applicants.
5. Consider freelancing while you search for a full-time position. More and more companies are looking outside the organization for individuals with specific skill sets to complete short-term projects. This can be a great way to get your foot in the door and to stay sharp in your field.