Jobs in Bessemer, AL
- 45,771 Resumes
- 7,464 Jobs Available
- 26,949 Population
- $51,000 Average Salary
Bessemer is located just 8 miles west of Hoover and a few miles further southwest of Birmingham in northern Alabama. With a population of 27,456 residents as of the 2010 census, Bessemer is a small city with a rich history in mining and manufacturing. It is also home to a major attraction of the area, a water park called Splash Adventure. To find out details and figures relevant to those seeking jobs in Bessemer, continue reading to get an idea of the economic status of the area, along with popular jobs, average wages and more.
Because of its vibrant history and its convenient proximity to both Hoover and Birmingham, Bessemer has enjoyed continuous economic and municipal success over the years. Jefferson County, where Bessemer is located, has an unemployment rate of 5.4 percent, which is very close to the national average unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. In the Birmingham-Hoover area, which includes Bessemer, the industry with the most employees is trade, transportation and utilities. The industry that follows is the government, which is trailed by education and health services. Professional and business services ranks in fourth place, followed by leisure and hospitality in fifth place, which grew nearly 2 percent between 2014 and 2015. Cashiers, retail salespersons and registered nurses are the top jobs in Bessemer and the area. The average weekly wage for the region is $902, which is below the national average of $1,048.
It is no surprise that the resume is perhaps the number one factor in shaping a potential employer’s impressions of you in the job hunting process. Here are some tips to make sure your resume paints a positive and bright picture of you as a professional.
1. Resumes should stand out, not fit in. Beware of relying completely on resume wizards or templates for this reason.
2. Creating your resume and stumped for ideas of what to include? Try filling out a resume workbook, which can help jog your memory for accomplishments, unique awards and achievements in your past.
3. It’s acceptable to have a resume that exceeds the one-page general rule, but make sure its length is justified with an extensive professional or educational history.
4. Never use more than two fonts on a resume. Do feel free to bold or italicize your text for emphasis, as long as all of the text is not in bold or italics.
5. Start your resume off with a headline that summarizes what kind of position you are working to achieve.
Finding jobs in Bessemer is no different from a search for employment anywhere else in the country. A certain amount of patience, diligence and willingness to be flexible is essential to a successful job hunt. Here are some tips to keep in mind throughout the process.
1. Though it’s fine to expect a quick job search, it’s best to mentally prepare yourself for the possibility of a job hunt that lasts for a while, which is likely in the new economy.
2. Be open to professional possibilities you might not have thought of yet, such as entrepreneurship, self-employment, project-based work or even temporary freelancing.
3. Try taking assessment tests that factor your personality, desires, skills and other traits into account and predict what positions or fields you might truly excel in. You may find yourself drawn to another career or industry altogether.
4. Don’t get too down on yourself. It’s easy to become discouraged and disillusioned after losing a job or searching for employment for a while, but a positive attitude is a critical part of your success.
5. Follow up with any and all job leads, even if you’re not sure where they are going. You never know where one position or person will take you, if only you commit to following up.