Jobs in Belvidere, IL
- 105 Resumes
- 6,728 Jobs Available
- 25,282 Population
- $61,000 Average Salary
Belvidere is an outlying suburb of Rockford, Illinois. It sits in Boone County and is about 75 miles northwest of downtown Chicago. The community is known as the City of Murals and is home to historic buildings, cultural amenities and one of the nation’s largest automotive assembly plants. There’s plenty of opportunity in manufacturing, but it’s important to get to know the town before applying. Here’s an overview of the current economy and jobs in Belvidere.
Compared to the national unemployment rate of 5.3, the unemployment rate in Rockford is 7.2. While this is slightly high, Belvidere has a lot of opportunity, especially in manufacturing. It is the site of Chrysler’s assembly plant that produces several of the brand’s most popular SUVs. Other big employers include the Dean Foods ice cream factory, a General Mills distribution facility and a number of technology and defense companies. Team assembler and freight mover are by far the most common occupations, but a large percentage of residents work retail and healthcare jobs in Belvidere. The average weekly income in Boone County is $830, whereas the average American earns a weekly wage of $1,048.
A clean-cut resume is a must for anyone looking for jobs in Belvidere. Here are a few tips on content and style.
1. Keep it under two pages. Most of the jobs in Belvidere will not require a lengthy CV. Unless you’re documenting research or publications, you should follow the two-page rule. Avoid extra fluff and keep your lists within reason.
2. List partial education. Whether you earned a PhD or took a few classes at the community college, be sure to list your highest level of education. If you didn’t complete a degree, it’s ok to list specific coursework that is relevant to the job.
3. Use descriptive words. Avoiding fluff also means using powerful words. Leave out generic phrases like “duties included,” and use verbs that describe how you accomplished or exceeded your duties
4. List in order. List your experiences in reverse chronological order, and keep your education below your work history if you’re not a recent graduate. Most employers will be interested in your most recent experiences.
5. Seek advice. There’s nothing wrong with asking a friend, family or colleague for an opinion. If you’re having trouble deciding where your skills transfer, consider an online career services provider or a local staffing agency.
The Rockford area is a specialized market, so you’ll need to do some research before applying to any jobs in Belvidere. Use the following tips when conducting your search.
1. Network offline. It’s easy to become complacent in a digital world, but a referral is still the most effective way to get a job. Attend career fairs and corporate hiring events, and ask your friends and family members for contacts in your field.
2. Know the company. Read mission statements, company blogs, careers pages and industry news. While it’s important to show that you care during the interview, it’s more important for you to fit the culture of an organization.
3. Rehearse interview questions. Do this aloud in front of a mirror or a friend. It may seem silly, but verbally practicing for an interview makes a huge difference, especially if you haven’t been put on the spot in a while.
4. Take the lead. From networking to your resume, attack your search like it’s a full time job. The hiring process takes time for many companies, so be patient and don’t be afraid of rejection.
5. Record your progress. Carry a notepad with you or jot things down in your phone or computer. Keep a copy of each job description and make note of your submission date and the names of people you make contact with.