Jobs in Austin, MN
- 57,405 Resumes
- 26,930 Jobs Available
- 24,716 Population
- $67,000 Average Salary
The county seat of Mower County, Minnesota, Austin, is small city that gives residents access to industry with a reasonable cost of living. Austin is home to two large food-processing corporations, Hormel and Quality Pork, as well as other major corporations within nearby counties. Those who are trying to secure jobs in Austin should continue to read to get useful information about the area’s employment prospects.
Austin is a city whose local government works to help create an attractive climate for businesses, which in turn helps future employees. In neighboring Rochester, unemployment stands at 3.9 percent. In comparison, the unemployment rate for the country is 5.3 percent. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the largest amount of employees in the area work in education and health services. The second largest amount of employees work in trade, transportation and utilities. The information services industry is beginning to hire more people in this part of Minnesota, growing 10 percent from December 2014 to December 2015. Professional and business services, however, are not employing as many people, shrinking 6.8 percent. The health sector shows its prevalence in Rochester with registered nurses being the most plentiful job type. Retail salespersons and food preparation workers are also plentiful in Rochester. In the Minneapolis area, which is a large city north of Austin, workers earn on average $1,064 per week, more than the country’s average of $1,048.
Your resume is the first and sometimes the only thing that a hiring manager reads about you. You want to make sure that your resume doesn’t get you eliminated from contention for jobs in Austin.
1. Look for sample resumes on various websites or job search engine sites. Try to find specific resumes from people who have jobs in Austin industries. Emulate these exemplary resumes.
2. Make sure your basic information is placed at the top. Include your full name, mailing address, email address, phone number and web address.
3. You may be trying to apply for several different types of job. If so, create multiple versions of your resume, specific to each position.
4. Make sure you highlight your most valuable talents. If you don’t have a lot of job experience, talk about the things you learned in various experiences from school.
5. Because resumes are supposed to be concise, only include the most important information. Don’t include a list of all of your travels, your favorite movies or the things you do in your spare time.
When you’re looking for jobs in Austin, you need to focus on strategies that help you show off your best talents and skills. Read the five tips below to help you when you are trying to find a new job.
1. Don’t try to do everything by yourself. Organizations out there can assist you in your job search. Whether it is help through your college’s job center, or it is filing for unemployment and utilizing community resources, you should take advantage of support systems.
2. Be prepared to give a list of up to three references to any future employer. Before you list anyone, make sure you choose people who can vouch for your accomplishments, and then let them know that they may be contacted for a reference.
3. Do a daily search through the major online job search engines. Create an account on each job search engine, so that you can get ideal listings sent to you as soon as they are published.
4. When applying for jobs in Austin, make sure your first contact or cover letter gets the company’s attention. Be sure that this first contact has been written specifically for the company and position in mind.
5. It might be a good idea to have a digital profile set up on your own website. There, you can upload examples of your best work if possible, and your resume.