Jobs in Albany, OR
- 755,838 Resumes
- 7,780 Jobs Available
- 51,980 Population
- $59,000 Average Salary
The 11th largest city in the state of Oregon, Albany, sits in Linn County. It is located near both the Willamette and Calapooia Rivers. As you search for jobs in Albany, it is important that you familiarize yourself with the local job market. Get more information on prospective jobs, job search tips, resume advice and salary statistics.
The job market in Linn County is quite challenging. The unemployment rate is 6.4 percent, which is significantly higher than the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. The five best performing industries in the area are manufacturing, retail trade, social assistance, health care services and farming. Albany is known as a predominately farming and manufacturing community. The largest occupations in the county are retail salesperson, office clerk and cashier. The weekly wage in Linn County, $970, is lower than that of the nation, $1,048.
As you do apply for different jobs in Albany, one of the most important tools you have is your resume. Follow these tips to ensure that you create an outstanding document:
1. Make sure all of the information that you share is relevant to the reader by revamping your resume every time you apply for a new job.
2. Create a document that is reader-friendly by focusing on formatting, such as headers and bullets, and keeping the text flushed to the left.
3. Avoid using colors throughout your resume because they can get distorted when viewed on different computers or when printed. Instead just stick to black and white.
4. Discuss your experience in terms of accomplishments and metrics to help make yourself standout from your peers and create something more than a job description.
5. Keep your resume positive by not discussing why you left past positions nor badmouthing past employers or coworkers.
Finding jobs in Albany and the rest of the country can take a while because of the challenging job market. You can use these tips to make your job search easier:
1. Get organized before you start looking. It helps to have a plan before you get too far into the search. Figure out what type of job you want to get, what companies interest you and how you can keep all of the information organized.
2. Look in all of the likely spots. You also have to make sure to thoroughly search for job opportunities. You can look at online job postings, in the newspaper, on company websites, on social media, at libraries, at job fairs and at career centers.
3. Use your network. It is also important that you talk to people in your network. You can get information about potential jobs, career advice, knowledge of the job market and connected with hiring managers.
4. Do research before you apply. Once you find jobs in Albany, it might be tempting to send in your resume right away. However, you have to take a step back and do some research. Gather information about the company to make sure it is an environment you want to work in and to find out if you know anyone who works there. Make a contact in the company, and have them pass your resume along to the right people.
5. Follow up on leads. Once you have made your initial contact with a company or gone in for an interview, you have to make sure to follow up. Send an email or a letter, give them a call or even stop in. You should keep getting in touch with the hiring manager until you get a definitive answer.